Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Grocery store strike

C-2
    I’m still trying to figure out why Stater Bros was seen as the “white knight” in the whole deal.
    Brown made a decision that netted him tons of money and they too are already raping the two-tier structure. The supermarket industry, as it was known is gone.
    Nothing like waiting in line at Vons Pavilions with $250 in the cart; only to be treated like you’re buying a couple of 40’s at Food for Less.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    Brown definantly came out smelling like a rose. He was my boss for 17 years. I can tell you first hand what a sh!t he is. Don't get me started.

Havasu Hangin'
    I’m still trying to figure out why Stater Bros was seen as the “white knight” in the whole deal.
    Stater Brothers has also raised prices...we called it "piling on". No need to be too much lower than the (debt-laiden) competition.
    However, he did disperse something like $17MM in profits to the employees (union and non-union). The rest will probably go to pay for the new DC they are opening in Highland.

prozach
    I am thanking them for going on strike. We now shop at Stater Bros. and save about $50 as compared to Vons.

Froggystyle
    Wow... I must suck. I...
    A) Crossed the line.. and
    B) Think that the striking workers didn't need to get their jobs back. In my mind, they basically quit.
    Hot tip to the idiots working in the El Cajon Vons near my house. The reason you were replaced at the cash register in under 20 minutes by a 16 year old is that checking groceries isn't that tough. Memorize a couple of produce numbers, scan the rest. This is not a $20 per hour job, nor is it a career. I worked in a grocery store, I know how "hard" it is.
    Pay people for the job, not the seniority. A checker who has been there for 15 years should make the same as a checker that has been there for three. You want more money... move to management.
    Wow... I am going to get my flameproof suit on... I was hoping the union would break on that one. It cracked me up to see all of the people who were "striking" working down the street at a different market.
    Maybe it is because I am a business owner now, but I never supported unions even as a worker. You either want to work for the company for what they are offering as a wage or you don't. Simple equation. If you don't, you get replaced. If you do, you have a job.
    Unions were designed to protect people in the early industrial boom where you had forced employment, underage kids and no safety. I think it was a great idea then.
    They need to go away now in my opinion.

Racer277
    During the strike, our quaint little neighborhood grocery store really stepped up. They always had great service and produce, but they DIDN'T raise prices, and did add staff. Also, they added inventory. It became an awesome place to shop, kind of a large, friendly, Trader Joe's.
    We still shop there. The local Vons and Ralphs closed down. Whatever.
    I had friends in the union. I crossed the line. Got terrible service and product when I did.
    Now the crowds have lowered at our little store, I enjoy it even more.

Havasu Hangin'
    I am thanking them for going on strike. We now shop at Stater Bros. and save about $50 as compared to Vons.
    If anything, the strike opened consumers eyes as to how much they were being ripped-off by the big three (Albertsons based in Boise, ID; Vons based in Pleasanton, CA; Ralphs based in Cincinatti, OH).
    Consumers have found that other outlets (Staters, Food 4 Less, Target, Kmart, Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart) can be much cheaper to shop at on a consistant basis.
    Both Ralphs and Vons have been closing stores since the strike.

C-2
    I'm into cooking and am always on the prowl for fresh produce, good meat and selection.
    Stater's is liking shopping at Big Lots - lotsa cheap crap nobody needs.
    Ralph's just sucks - went to a grand opening store and it was lame, really lame.
    Vons and Albertson's - seem the same, except for the shitty new help.
    Henry's rocks for produce.
    Other local markets - always hit and miss, sometimes good, but when bad, really bad.

Essexive G's
    If anything, the strike opened consumers eyes as to how much they were being ripped-off by the big three (Albertsons based in Boise, ID; Vons based in Pleasanton, CA; Ralphs based in Cincinatti, OH).
    Consumers have found that other outlets (Staters, Food 4 Less, Target, Kmart, Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart) can be much cheaper to shop at on a consistant basis.
    Both Ralphs and Vons have been closing stores since the strike.
    Food 4 Less is also part of the Ralphs chain.
    " Headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, Kroger operates supermarkets under the banners Kroger, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, Smith's, King Soopers, Dillon, Fry's, City Market, Food 4 Less and Quality Food Centers."

Biglue
    Wow... I must suck. I...
    A) Crossed the line.. and
    B) Think that the striking workers didn't need to get their jobs back. In my mind, they basically quit.
    Hot tip to the idiots working in the El Cajon Vons near my house. The reason you were replaced at the cash register in under 20 minutes by a 16 year old is that checking groceries isn't that tough. Memorize a couple of produce numbers, scan the rest. This is not a $20 per hour job, nor is it a career. I worked in a grocery store, I know how "hard" it is.
    Pay people for the job, not the seniority. A checker who has been there for 15 years should make the same as a checker that has been there for three. You want more money... move to management.
    Wow... I am going to get my flameproof suit on... I was hoping the union would break on that one. It cracked me up to see all of the people who were "striking" working down the street at a different market.
    Maybe it is because I am a business owner now, but I never supported unions even as a worker. You either want to work for the company for what they are offering as a wage or you don't. Simple equation. If you don't, you get replaced. If you do, you have a job.
    Unions were designed to protect people in the early industrial boom where you had forced employment, underage kids and no safety. I think it was a great idea then.
    They need to go away now in my opinion.
    Well put. What most union folks fail to see is that a union cannot get you what someone else (employer, companies) is not willing to pay for. Unions once stood for rights and everything positive I believe. Today they pretty much charging a monthly fee for little to no service. It's paying for a lawyer representation is what it is. How often do you need to? I'd rather be able to walk up to the boss and have a one on one myself. Just my .02

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast