Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Grocery store strike

Big Warlock
    1) How many paychecks did the Union Employees miss while everyone was on strike?
    2) If you pay into the retirement fund for 20 years or more. And, within an average economy, your money appreciates at an average rate of 10% per year. How is it you only have somewhere around $1200.00 a month in benefit? Where do the other dollars go? (Many people have accumulated over a million dollars in a 20 year period and would be earning $6,000.00 per month tax free under same circumstances in a private account) (Oh, this is the Social Security argument as well. Instead of putting money into the "general fund" and then paying out "crap" benefits.)
    3) How long will it take the strikers to earn back the money they lost in the strike? (While the union oficials didn't miss a paycheck.)
    4) Why can't we have the "no worky / no eaty" philosophy of other countries? (Everybody worky there!)
    5) Why is it that people who work their way through school, earn degrees, work to learn a skill and start a career, sacrifice much of their youth and then are subjected to the wisdom and yearnings of everyone else that don't have anything to lose?
    6) Why is McCain still a Republican?
    7) Can I really be a lesbian?
    (I better stop now, my meds are wearing off..............)
    :boxed:

Kachina26
    Never stopped shopping at Ralph's during the strike and didn't support the union thing at all. "You're worth what you can get if you walk out that door." was told to me many years ago and I abide by it still. Harsh but true. Look at the union busting that's coming with the airlines. Do we stop flying and conducting business to protest reality. No.
    I'm not boycotting the stores because I don't like the stores, I do it to show my disgust with the actions of the workers outside. Like you said, "You're worth what you can get if you walk out that door." If they let you walk, then you weren't worth what you thought.

Biglue
    Ask the Teamsters where their pensions went several years ago. Many people don't beleive this but uions are still influenced by organized crime. Union fees are a racket, bottom line.

Essex502
    I'm not boycotting the stores because I don't like the stores, I do it to show my disgust with the actions of the workers outside. Like you said, "You're worth what you can get if you walk out that door." If they let you walk, then you weren't worth what you thought.
    Exactly. Thaat statement to me many years ago from someone I respected very much caused me to never bitch about what I made cause I could always make more (or less) by walking out the door. I worked as a Retail Clerk while going to high school and it was a pretty much no-brainer job.

1h20lowrider
    For those of you in the south bay. Go to "LA Venadita" in Carson on Main St. Between Carson St. and 223rd st west side of street. Always fresh meat and the best carne asada you will ever taste......guaranteed!!!!!!
    You are CORRECT! Best Carne asada North of the border..Pretty nice produce, just a bit more in price than grocery....!
    I HOPE YOU TELL EVERYONE THAT THEY ONLY HAVE ABOUT 2 GUYS THAT SPEAK ENGLISH..The rest speak spanish and some of the guys that post MIGHT GET upset about that! Also they might ask the workers for green cards ,and they play "MEXICAN"(spanish) music, and that theres alot of people that might be illegals in there!!!!

Sportin' Wood
    Before I knew there was a grocery store strike, I went to Albertson's on 79. Probably the day the strike started. I listened to the guy outside for about 10 minutes, nodded in agreement with him, said I would avoid crossing the picketline in the future and started to go inside the store. The guy almost started a fist fight with me. I was going in to use BofA's ATM.
    That store on south 79 was a sh!t hole two weeks after it was finished. It started life as an Albertsons and was bought by Staters a few years later.
    I hate Albertsons, That company stiffed us out of about $45,000 in extra's.
    I had to go back and do service calls two weeks after it opened ,and I sh!t you not. I could smell the filth of the sea food dept at the front of the store. The gal in the bakery was stuffing her face with cookies, and offered me a hand full talking with her mouth full, about how she had to get out of the bakery because she was getting fat stuffing her face all day.
    The general attitude of the workers was that they hated there jobs and and the crappy company that they worked for. I told them they where right Albertsons was a sh!t hole and proceeded to stuff my pie hole with fresh cookies, on the house :rollside:
    I have never paid anyone to have a job

Big Warlock
    how the companies are at fault? Sounds like Stater Bros. employees made a decision to work and not strike for better benefits. The unions are the ones that walked, but anyone can walk if they want right? The companies made an offer. If you don't like that offer, you should do something else. It still is a free country right? If everyone doesn't want to work for such company, they will have to make more appealing or go out of business.
    Sounds like some people actually went to work for Stater Bros. And I really don't know the details of the strike, but I believe that some of it was over benefits. Paying some portion of the medical? My experience is that most people pay some part of their medical.
    Whatever you choose to do in your life to make a living, you are fortunate to do something that you like to do. If you are not doing something you like to do, then you should look for something that you do like to do. Hope that makes sense. But because someone or some corporation decides that this is what they are paying in terms of pay packages and benefits, it's your choice to stay or leave, or strike to try to force your opinion. Did the strikers get much out of it? Not really, they got hurt the worse. The union officials never missed a paycheck.
    The unions have done much good in the past for the country. And like everything, they have their place. But the unions are typically worse than the government in running things. The best place to be in a union is at the top of the food chain. :hammerhea

hotlavey
    i crossed the line during the strike, and still do today...
    Me too. As many times as I could, even when I really didn't need to.

C-2
    We can beat unions up all day long and continue to say it’s a free market economy - if you don’t like your position, leave.
    But who do you think is building your homes, bridges, roads, buildings, automobiles, airplanes, and even teaching your kids? Not a person who takes pride in their work, but the new style, POS worker who could care less about quality or putting in a good day of work. After all, just how committed is somebody for $7-$8 an hour?
    If companies (both large and small) continue to seek the most bang for the buck, instead of quality or attracting skilled professionals, we’re gonna be in a world of hurt down the line.

ROZ
    I HOPE YOU TELL EVERYONE THAT THEY ONLY HAVE ABOUT 2 GUYS THAT SPEAK ENGLISH..The rest speak spanish and some of the guys that post MIGHT GET upset about that! Also they might ask the workers for green cards ,and they play "MEXICAN"(spanish) music, and that theres alot of people that might be illegals in there!!!!
    People are funny like that, eh? Ever seen an authentic mexican food store run by a Chinese guy, and would you want to shop there? :supp:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast