Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Grocery store strike

ROZ
    [QUOTE=ROZ]We have a great neighborhood butcher !!!! For those of you in the San Marcos area, it's TLC meats and Rodeos for Carne and pollo asada!!! [/QUOTE
    I work in San Marcos. Where abouts is that?
    Where in SM do you work?... TLC meats is accross the street from the new highschool on Mission rd about a quarter mile west of Woodland parkway.
    The Rodeos is on the north west corner of San Marcos blvd and Pico st.. exit twinoaks and go north to san marcos blvd and go left. it's at the small shopping center accross from the am/pm on the right hand side...
    Habla espanol? depending on who's working the counter you may need it... Just tell them how many lbs. Aracherra you want...

Froggystyle
    We can beat unions up all day long and continue to say it’s a free market economy - if you don’t like your position, leave.
    But who do you think is building your homes, bridges, roads, buildings, automobiles, airplanes, and even teaching your kids? Not a person who takes pride in their work, but the new style, POS worker who could care less about quality or putting in a good day of work. After all, just how committed is somebody for $7-$8 an hour?
    If companies (both large and small) continue to seek the most bang for the buck, instead of quality or attracting skilled professionals, we’re gonna be in a world of hurt down the line.
    Appreciated, but the best workers get paid the best. I am hiring skilled professionals, and paying for it. I pay a guy $75 an hour just to look at designs for structual related stuff. I pay $350 and up an hour for legal. Neither are union.
    I know some great electricians who can't get work (or proper pay) because of the union protection of the top levels. Union apprentices make squat it appears.
    I have had few experiences with unions personally. Every one was horrible. I have a best freind who is a union rep for the Airline pilots union and we have terrible arguments over this. His stuff carries no water though, and we end up in disagreement every time.

C-2
    Appreciated, but the best workers get paid the best.
    Not always, which is the problem as I see it.
    No comparison between a journeyman carpenter and a $10 hour carpenter; but there are tons of the $10 guys working on million dollar homes. Yet, how is a journeyman carpenter going to compete against the $10 guy - he won't. Instead he'll leave the industry and let the $10 guy have at it. Then we're left with mediocre work, at best.
    Same thing with the grocery biz. Like it or not, we need groceries and have to visit markets. Already I have seen a major shift in the attitude of the workers - at least the old school people cared. The new two-tier clerks are only passing time and customers annoy them. Not that big of a deal except for the fact we will have to live with shitty service from now on.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a union supporter, nor did I support the strike. My wife is a baker (yes, an actual skilled profession), whose days are limited in the grocery biz since she is oldschool. She is in the bakers union - which she can't stand. But at tleast the baker's union was smart enough to say we need more money if you want bene's - and therefore, effective immediateky we are docking $40 a week from your pay. No strike, no negotiations - brutal but effective.
    I am a licensed professional and agree skilled labor should be compensated accordingly. But like any small business owbner can tell you, it's the tail end that'll take you down - which in this case, the tail end being the basic things we seem to be overlooking, like housing, transportation and education.
    As the good Dr would say...we're all DOOOOMED.

1h20lowrider
    People are funny like that, eh? Ever seen an authentic mexican food store run by a Chinese guy, and would you want to shop there? :supp:
    Yes I have, If you dont believe me the store is in South Central on 45th and Main (southwest corner) chinese guy even has spanish music BLASTING!
    If you want to see comedy go to that store The chinese owner trying to speak spanish to his customers :argue:

Debbolas
    One of our VERY GOOD FRIENDS worked for Albertsons, so to support her, I didn't cross the picket line, I shopped at Staters during the strike. The week before Thanksgiving the line was from the checkout stand all the way back around the store to the dairy section!
    Vons is my favorite store, I shop there.

shueman
    People are funny like that, eh? Ever seen an authentic mexican food store run by a Chinese guy, and would you want to shop there? :supp:
    Yep, Superior is a Hispanic targeted Food Store owned by a femaile Asian...HUGE volume retailer....

C-2
    Speaking of hispanic markets...
    Anybody ever seen the "Jons" markets in LA - I know there's one on Third Street before Korea Town. They took the "V" from Vons sign (you know, the big sign out front), cut it in half, and presto, welcome to "J"ons. Ingenuity at its finest!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456