Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lake Isabella, Ca

Dr. Eagle
    HAs anyone ever been to Lake Isabella in Cali? Is it worth the drive from the O.C.?
    What a dump. A couple of years ago I was looking for a resort marina to potentially purchase. The one at Lake Isabella was for sale for like 170K. I wondered why and so I looked into the water level at the lake for the past few years. It was at about 10% by summers end and best year was at about 40% to start. Seemed like a pretty bad investment to me... buy a marina on a mudhole...

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    Here's a photo of the lake....... :idea:
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...20/1780h12.jpg
    Hehe!!!
    Later,
    CJG

sandblasted
    In 1998 the lake was allowed to fill to 100%.
    So of course the dept of engineers was sued by the sierra clubbers. It seems that this man made lake has caused trees to grow in areas that are not always under water. When the lake rises, the trees become submerged.
    An endangered bird (or course) the Southwestern Willow Flycatcher was determined to have made nests in these trees, and -the clubbers claimed- would get flooded out if the lake was allowed to fill more than half full.
    The lower water level maximum during spring has allowed the lake to become very low 10-15% capacity over the 2000-2004 summers. The lower volume of water has warmed too much, creating mass fish kills.
    Before the lawsuit, this lake was an absolutely beautiful place to camp and boat.
    Since, it has become dangerous, and at times disgusting.
    but you should see it now...the lake is scheduled to be at it's highest point since 1998. The spring runoff in the Kern river is going full blast and the lake is high, rising about a foot a day....Take a drive up from Bako and you might be surprised...

Racer277
    What a dump. A couple of years ago I was looking for a resort marina to potentially purchase. The one at Lake Isabella was for sale for like 170K. I wondered why and so I looked into the water level at the lake for the past few years. It was at about 10% by summers end and best year was at about 40% to start. Seemed like a pretty bad investment to me... buy a marina on a mudhole...
    Yeah, it's pretty true.
    Really, it used to be awesome, wish you guys could have boated on it then.
    Now, with all this snowpack melting, they let it run right thru the dam and thru town. Can't let the lake get above 50%.
    Although it is replenishing the groundwater west of town, I can't help but feel like the aholes in LA, that let all the freshwater run down the concrete lined 'rivers' into the ocean.
    Then they demand the rest of the nations water.

Racer277
    but you should see it now...the lake is scheduled to be at it's highest point since 1998. The spring runoff in the Kern river is going full blast and the lake is high, rising about a foot a day....Take a drive up from Bako and you might be surprised...
    That's great! I will check it out.
    Any word if they will go above 50% fill?
    What up SB?

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    I can't help but feel like the aholes in LA, that let all the freshwater run down the concrete lined 'rivers' into the ocean.
    Then they demand the rest of the nations water.
    Awwwww......
    Just shut-up.......oh...and send more water please.......
    HeHe!!!
    Later,
    CJG

Racer277
    Awwwww......
    HeHe!!!
    Later,
    CJG

:yuk:

Racer277
    Awwwww......
    HeHe!!!
    Later,
    CJG

You'll like this:
    During the winter we had one of the techs from San Diego up here for a presentation. While driving through the city, he asked "Why do you guys build all these parks and baseball diamonds below grade. They just fill with water...."
    Now this guy has 2 Degrees, and is book smart as hell.
    Sheesh, I didn't even try to explain dual use, or even what a sump is.... :sleeping:
    Having only lived in socal, he had never seen anything designed to recharge ground water. :notam:

tamalewagon
    HAs anyone ever been to Lake Isabella in Cali? Is it worth the drive from the O.C.?
    Don't bother Piper...just go to Nacimiento or San Antonio. MUCH better lakes and facilities.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    You'll like this:
    During the winter we had one of the techs from San Diego up here for a presentation. While driving through the city, he asked "Why do you guys build all these parks and baseball diamonds below grade. They just fill with water...."
    Now this guy has 2 Degrees, and is book smart as hell.
    Sheesh, I didn't even try to explain dual use, or even what a sump is.... :sleeping:
    Having only lived in socal, he had never seen anything designed to recharge ground water. :notam:
    Yea....
    I know what you mean......
    They do the maze thing here in Orange County on the Santa Ana river, through Anaheim. Try to slow down the water so it fills up the aquafer....
    So many people ask why they spend the time to move the sand around....
    I think most of Anaheims water is from wells....
    CJG

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast