Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lake Isabella, Ca

MagicMtnDan
    Lake Isabella used to be a very nice lake. The only issue used to be the wind - it would often come up around 12 or 1PM and make the place blown out. When there was no wind the place was ideal. Hot, spacious and flat water.
    I haven't been there in years so I have no idea what they've done to it but it's easy to assume they've focked it up. The tree huggers are many in that area and they love to micro-manage every aspect of life if they're allowed to. :devil:

sandblasted
    That's great! I will check it out.
    Any word if they will go above 50% fill?
    What up SB?
    Actually the Corp of Engineers purchased about 940 acres around the lake so they could relocate the damn bird that the tree huggers fell in love with..They even had pics in the local papers of people moving nests..
    The plan is to bring the lake up to about 540,000 acre feet of water this year...My guys at work in Kernville are taking bets as to when the lake will hit the spillway...

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    Racer....
    I take it your a tech of some sort ???
    Whats your business ???
    CJG

Racer277
    Right On!
    That lake is a blast when it fills!
    I remember beaching with my buddy on the airstrip, tying to the airplane tye downs and having lunch at the Isabella airport! Then racing thru the trees back to camp.
    The wind can come up in the afternoon, but if you can wait till 4 to go out again, the place is awesome! Paradise cove and French Gulch are somewhat protected, good places to wait it out.

JetBoatRich
    Last year we had a great time there water level was up and this year is suppose to be even better lots of lake to run around on, we take runs to the bridge and hang out on the sandbar or to the dam.
    Campgrounds all around the lake.
    Good to see, for a couple years straight, it was so low and water did not look so good :notam: I know a few people heading up this weekend, hopefully thier report is two thumbs up

sandblasted
    Last year we had a great time there water level was up and this year is suppose to be even better lots of lake to run around on, we take runs to the bridge and hang out on the sandbar or to the dam.
    Campgrounds all around the lake.
    Good to see, for a couple years straight, it was so low and water did not look so good :notam: I know a few people heading up this weekend, hopefully thier report is two thumbs up
    Rich, if you are referring to the sandbar at French Gulch forget about it..It's under water!! If you are familiar with Paradise cove you would be happy to know that the 1st 2 rows of parking area are under water! Thats how high the lake is right now...

Racer277
    Blasted you are right!
    It says 70% right now!
    This is great!
    Camp sites will be at a premium all summer. Many will be underwater. But, this is awesome news. Finally those earth firsters take it in the ass!
    Woo Hoo!

Chris Winn
    we have a ranch up in Johnsondale, about 30 minutes above Lake isabella. sue tot he rains thsi year, both the river rafting and the fishing are killer.
    i was just up there about a month ago getting our toy hauler brought down from the ranch and stopped by isabella, the water level is way up right now and looks really nice, it is about the best i have ever seen it.
    i would hessitate to take anything over 23 ft on the lake, but it did look inviting, in years past it has been a mud hole but really lloks good now.
    this woudl be one year that would say that it is worth a trip to go see it. if you do, take the drive to Kernville (about 15 mins up the road) stay there and enjoy the 6 bars in a 1 block radius, the river rafting in in its peak season right now and the parties at night are fairly decent.
    just my 02 worth!

pixilatedpussy
    In 1998 the lake was allowed to fill to 100%.
    So of course the dept of engineers was sued by the sierra clubbers. It seems that this man made lake has caused trees to grow in areas that are not always under water. When the lake rises, the trees become submerged.
    An endangered bird (or course) the Southwestern Willow Flycatcher was determined to have made nests in these trees, and -the clubbers claimed- would get flooded out if the lake was allowed to fill more than half full.
    The lower water level maximum during spring has allowed the lake to become very low 10-15% capacity over the 2000-2004 summers. The lower volume of water has warmed too much, creating mass fish kills.
    Before the lawsuit, this lake was an absolutely beautiful place to camp and boat.
    Since, it has become dangerous, and at times disgusting.
    Wow! I wish I could have seen it when it was a cool place!

pixilatedpussy
    it would often come up around 12 or 1PM
    It did when we were there too!!!! :cry:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast