Thread: Stringer cap

FlatRat
    Getting ready to re-glass one stringer in the Howard.What is the best way to go about it?I have some 12" ,6" and 3" f'glass and planned on stagering the seams.How many layers should I put on the cap?Thanks upfront :2purples:

FlatRat
    anyone? :sleeping:

Carnivalride
    I didn't respond because I'm not an expert but I've always ground the areas I needed to glass with at least 60 grit and usually 36 grit. The number of layers depends on the weight of your matt and the strength and finish you desire. For stringers I would go at least 3 layers with a matt but I would try and run a layer of heavy woven between 2 layers of matt if it was mine.
    Just my .02, you might want to check with some others too.

WaterBox
    Getting ready to re-glass one stringer in the Howard.What is the best way to go about it?I have some 12" ,6" and 3" f'glass and planned on stagering the seams.How many layers should I put on the cap?Thanks upfront :2purples:
    Need more INFO. Why are you re-glassing the stringer ?? Is it breaking away from the floor, Too many holes in it or what ?

FlatRat
    Need more INFO. Why are you re-glassing the stringer ?? Is it breaking away from the floor, Too many holes in it or what ?
    Stringer had some delam so I stripped glass off.Found a little dry rot.Ground it out and replaced.Stringer is not loose on the floor.Was wanting to know should I use mat or cloth to tie it back in.From what I've gathered so far is to grab at least five or six inches of the floor and the stringer on the first layer then stagger the seams with the next two,then cap it.The stringer is stripped from just under the dash to transom.Thanks FR :rollside:

EXTREMEBOATS
    Flat, Not to sound like im all that, but I have and still do deal with your situation. There are a few questions first. Knowing what your hull was intended to be used for, lake boat, race or??? Will help figure out what material and the schedule it was applied so that the repair is sufficient and not over kill. So many times I've seen enough material to hold a 3000 pound diesel. Plenty strong yes, but way more work then nessessary. If you want to give me a call i'll help any way I can. Im working all weekend, late im sure so feel free to give me a excuse to take a break
    :squiggle: Mike 407-671-6179
    PS our old phone number is no longer up,407-384-1868.