Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Help

deltarat
    I have the old log manifolds on my boat and I keep burning up exahust gaskets. I planed the manifolds flat and put them back on the engine nice a tight. Took the boat to the lake and wasted another set of gaskets. Is there a right and wrong way to install these. Any help would be appreicated.

schme2
    I have the old log manifolds on my boat and I keep burning up exahust gaskets. I planed the manifolds flat and put them back on the engine nice a tight. Took the boat to the lake and wasted another set of gaskets. Is there a right and wrong way to install these. Any help would be appreicated.
    I just used some ATV silicone on mine with out a gasket. Never had a problem.

UtlGoa
    I was also told to use high temp silicone. I just had mine surfaced and need to re install them.

spectras only
    DR, if you've machined the manifold's surface ,all you need is the copper high temp gasket maker. I've never used any gaskets for log manifolds ,period !

Tresguey
    are your header bolts coming loose by any chance? if so Hedman has some bolts out that have a locking system on them. i had a problem with my bolts backing out of mt Bassets until i got thier new header bolts.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Unless somehow the head surface was warped too, I'm betting on the bolts?
    I've torched a lot of paper ones over the years. There is a set of ones that ware metal on 1 side and resemble shingle composition on the other side. I had to use those to hold a set of headers sealed up many, many moons ago. They are still out there somewhere I believe.

deltarat
    I just wanted to say thank you for the help. I think I am going to go with no gaskets and a new set of header bolts with the reaining clips.

mgar_red
    D.R., when you said you "planed" them, did you do it yourself or have them done at a machine shop? I ran into the same problem and tried to true mine up with a 5 ft long piece of 2" square tubing with sanding belt strips and then emry attached. Still did not get perfect seal.
    End result, and best bet, have them milled, not sanded, at a reputable machine shop. Since then I've run M/G ultra seals and never had a leak since.
    Mike G

Squirtin Thunder
    D.R., when you said you "planed" them, did you do it yourself or have them done at a machine shop? I ran into the same problem and tried to true mine up with a 5 ft long piece of 2" square tubing with sanding belt strips and then emry attached. Still did not get perfect seal.
    End result, and best bet, have them milled, not sanded, at a reputable machine shop. Since then I've run M/G ultra seals and never had a leak since.
    Mike G
    The Ultra Seal gaskets work great !!! I have a set of SCE copper embossed on my dads Nicson manifolds and no leaks !!!
    JIm

Wicked Performance Boats
    Just put a set of o/t headers on it and it will be so noisey you will hardly hear the leaks. Budlight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast