Thread: Who remembers Memorial Day?

LakeRacer
    I'm just as guilty as everyone else. Thinking about what I'm going to do for Memorial Day. You know, what kind of fun and excitement I can get in to for the weekend.
    And then I realized that we SHOULDN'T EVER FORGET that our finest are serving to protect our summer boating season kick off weekend and that many veterans gave their life so that we could enjoy ourselves. After all, this weekend is to Memorialize those who aren't with us any more.
    Please join me by saying thanks to those who aren't here any more and saying a prayer (if your religious) for those who are serving.
    I've often thought about going to the nearest military base and talking to a public relations officer about finding a couple of troops who came home recently and taking them out for a weekend on the boat. I'd do it this weekend if we weren't having a family reunion to honor my Dad (WWII vet) who passed away a few years ago. Some time this summer I'm going to follow up on this idea.
    From my family - a great big thank you to those we honor with Memorial Day. And another great big thank you to the finest military and the men and women who serve to protect this great nation.
    Anyways, just some thoughts that came to me as I prepared for the weekend. Hope you don't mind.

Biglue
    Good point.

C-2
    Thanks for reminding us Art.
    We too remember our veterans with a nice little trip to the cemetery. Kinda puts it in perspective when you see all the little white crosses and flags.
    God bless our vets and active duty service members.

OGShocker
    I lived on the East Coast in 1985-87. I made it to Washington D.C. every Memorial Day(three years). I would spend time at "The Wall" and then over to Arlington. I just did not get it until in 1986, I saw and heard a mother reading a letter to her son, whos name is etched in that cold black wall. The letter was returned to her un-opened from Vietnam as he died before he recieved it. 15 years later she saved enough money to travel to D.C. so she could read to him. I cry every year for her and thank the men from 1776 to present who gave there lives for FREEDOM.
    Great Thread!

Biglue
    Thanks for reminding us Art.
    We too remember our veterans with a nice little trip to the cemetery. Kinda puts it in perspective when you see all the little white crosses and flags.
    God bless our vets and active duty service members.
    Absolutley true. Green hills in Rancho Palos Verdes is very nicely decorated for this holiday. They have even set up a memorial for the first fallen soldier of the South Bay or Cali, I can't remember. It's really humbling to see.

OGShocker
    Well Art, I guess just the four of us.

redneckgirl
    Thanks to all our troops...past and present!!! God Bless

RNG