Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Diagnosis Question

Hallett19
    I changed my filter today, and I dumped the oil from the filter out into a white bowl, which I never do, I noticed some small metal flakes, nothing big, just the metal looked a little metalicy (if that is a word) in the sunlight.
    Is this normal ? :redface:

LakesOnly
    I changed my filter today, and I dumped the oil from the filter out into a white bowl, which I never do, I noticed some small metal flakes, nothing big, just the metal looked a little metalicy (if that is a word) in the sunlight.
    In direct sunlight, an irridescent metallic characterisitic observed in the oil is not unusual. We are talking about metal pariculate so small that this condition wouldnt' be noticed inside the garage/well away from natural light.
    Back when I worked as a motorcycle mechanic (tiny oil filters in high revving engines), I would refer to the break-in service oil change as Testors Model Paint, the color being "Honda 600-Mile Service Metallic Gold."
    A better evaluation of abnormal engine wear would be to (proplerly) cut that used oil filter open and inspect between the pleats for bearing fragments, etc.
    But a gleem in the oil in direct sunlight ain't nuthin'...
    LO

Hallett19
    Thanks Lakes.... you know for all of your sage advice you should start charging people, where do I send the check ?

LakesOnly
    Put the money into a good brand oil filter and the remaining balance in the fuel tanks of your boat.
    Thanks,
    LO

Taylorman
    Put the money into a good brand oil filter and the remaining balance in the fuel tanks of your boat.
    Thanks,
    LO
    so what brand would that be?

steveo143
    Here we go again!

Lightning
    so what brand would that be?
    I'm a big fan of Baldwin oil filters. I use the equivalent of a Fram HP1, which I think is a B279 in Baldwin.

kp216
    I've been running Wix ever since I saw my first thread on here about oil filters. I picked up 10 lbs of pressure too.

Liberator TJ1984
    I've been running Wix ever since I saw my first thread on here about oil filters. I picked up 10 lbs of pressure too.
    NAPA , NAPA Gold, WIX are the same filter :wink: # 279 Baldwin Has a Higher pressure bypass along with the NAPA Gold , Baldwins are great filters , all the line trucks in our fleet use them and this is in a dirty ,dusty enviroment, where oil samples are taken at every change, filters are flawless....

INEEDAV
    If you truly want to know whats going on in your engine and would like to see trend data to do some condition based maintenance on it instead of fix at fail consider a program like this.
    Amsoil Oil Analysis (http://www.synspeed.com/Products/Oil...is/default.asp)
    I use one similar on all my vehicles and now my boat engine as well. When you see a change in the trend you can identify the problem a lot of times without opening it up.
    If you are interested I can get you in touch with labs that do particle counts on oil as well, it is even a better indicator of problems that may arise.
    If you are interested I can send you information on reading the scan reports you get back as to what each element being in your oil shows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast