Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tested Answer To The Droop or Snoot a Big Boat

Scarab Jet
    Nelson109,
    I am in the same shape as far as tight steering... Is there any way at all that you could draw a picture of what you are referring to? I can't figure out how you can use a snoot and not have to use an steering extension. Sure like to see how you did it... I agree that the best way is to not use any extensions to also eliminate the play (which I have a lot of in my steering)...
    thanx in advance,
    Mike...

Taylorman
    How do you get play from the extension. Are you getting play from where the bolt goes throught the extension and cable end? I have some play in the cable itself, not bad, but all cables have a little play.

Jeanyus
    Ball and socket sterring.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...ndhole-med.jpg
    My pump is set back, so I had to screw the steering tube way out, and use steering extension. The extension does not cause any extra play in the steering. You can see how the socket allows the cable to point down, for the droop, and it allows the tube to move a little side to side, when you turn the steering wheel.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...shed-thumb.jpg

texas-19
    Taylorman,
    If i put a straight edge on my ride plate and have the diverter set in the middle position,their is about 1" clearance between the diverter and straight edge.I can feel the water dragging against the diverter even at crusin speed,with the diverter all the way down,but if i move the diverter up to about the middle position it is fine.I know i still need to play with wedge and shoe adjustments.Oh ya,this is with 2.5 degrees on the ride plate.My boat don't have a problem pulling one way or the other though.
    How much clearance do you have between diverter and straight edge and at what ride plate angle?

texas-19
    PLacecraft20,
    Thanks for the info,well thought out and really interesting,i've wanted to do the same thing.
    With that longer snoot do you think the diverter was dragging in the water at crusin speed?
    OH YA,WHERE IS CHET?i AM SURPRISED NOBODY HAS MENTIONED HIS NAME YET?

Taylorman
    Did you have to say his name.
    With the diverter all the way down and a straight edge across my ride plate, there is about 2" from the bottom of the diverter to the straight edge.
    My ride plate is about 1". The way i get that is by putting a straight edge across from the keel in front of the intake, across the shoe and extending under the ride plate. My ride plate is 20" long. At the end of the ride plate, there is about 1" between the ride plate and straight edge.
    I have 7* of wedge in my snoot. The last time i ran it i had 4 and it still the steering pull. I added 3* more wedge. Im gonna run it this weekend, we'll see.
    Kevin

ChetCapoli
    Here is the original thread for review
    The first thing I did per Duanes instructions was to install the droop snoot. I used a 2 degree plastic wedge as a gasket for the installation.
    DID SOMEONE CALL ME OUT HERE?? Looky, looky a snnnnnooooooooooooooottttttttttttttt sighting!!! First of all...throw out the " per duanes instructions" and use your nogin ok? If your going to listen to the way the promotor sets it up....of course its gonna be faster!...gheesh people! Put that droop straight on without the wedge and see what it does. It already has enough angle built into it. If anything reverse the wedge down and see. Then take a 4 degree wedge and try that both ways. Then come on here with the "non fixed" results. SORRY BUT I"M NOT BUYIN IT FOLKS!! The droop is where it's at!
    With this setup the boat ran 66.8 mph with two people, a few beers and a full load of fuel. The boat felt nice and loose in the water compared to what it was before.
    The next install was the short snoot with about 7 degrees of wedge to match the wedge of the droop.
    For my boat the long snoot picked up 2 mph pretty easy on my boat and with some tweeking on my trim tabs and new carb maybe even more.
    Thats my unsolicited 2 cents worth: PLACECRAFT20
    Thats my unsolicited 2 cents too! Seems to be a few loopholes in this test! Hey where's my man CS19 and his results?????????????? He's been quite quiet for some reason.

Taylorman
    I knew you wouldn't let us down Chet. Once again you have wasted energy by typing and saying nothing. Thats about all your good for.
    So if i understand what you are saying correctly, you would rather buy a part, slap it on, run it and spend countly hours figuring out the best setup rather than taking the advise of someone who has 40 years of jet boating experience to help with setup. Wow, that is time well spent. You really know how to make the most of your time. If i needed a training manager for my company, i'd hire you now.
    I just knew i would have something good to say before i go to bed.
    Good night

Ken F
    Chet, this time I agree with you. Why listen ?
    >First of all...throw out the " per duanes instructions" and use your
    nogin ok? Put that droop straight on without the wedge and see what it does. It already has enough angle built into it. If anything reverse the wedge down and see. Then take a 4 degree wedge and try that both ways.<
    I just bought a new set of Bassett TT's and put them on upside down just like you suggested. They work great, now I got some ot's! Sure could have saved some money If I'd just bought some OT's in the first place.
    Thanks Chet.

Nucking futs
    Hey where's my man CS19 and his results?????????????? He's been quite quiet for some reason.
    Hey Chit, I was present when CS19 ran the long snoot.Hate to say it but i did'nt notice any differance in the 2. I will let CS19 telll you his thoughts on the subject.I would like to try one on my southwind 20 just for kicks,but i know i cant test one for free.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast