Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help on new boat ?

Raskal
    just bought 1976 waikiki olds 455 and jucz jet has quaidjett carb and seems like secondarys dont open rebuild did not work what would be a good reliable carb looking at edlebrock 750 ? any help would help http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Kwicherbichen
    Raskal, I suggest you have a pro take a look at it first, give you an estimate, or give you some direction. You are in Norco, so I suggest Tom Papp. He is very nice and I feel certain he would would be more than happy to help you.
    Tom Papp Racing
    1640 Industrial Ave
    Norco, CA 92860
    (909) 734-4606
    http://www.tompappracing.com
    Brian

disco_charger
    Ditch that Q jet and the iron manifold that's probably under it. Holley 750 Double pumper. Eddlebrock Air Gap Manfold, or Performer RPM manifold with a a splash shield to keep the hot oil off of the runners. Big increase in power. If you can rebuild the Holley yourself, Long Beach or Pomona swap meet $50 carb, $120 manifold. That's the cheapest horsepower you'll ever make.
    Disco

Hallett19
    ok, listen carefully..... don't ever... ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever get an edlebrock carb!!! If you do, don't come around here again. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Holley, 750, probably don't need a double pumper, a vac secondary is fine, and buy it then get it jetted corectly and "marinized" a.k.a- mill off the air horn and what not.

Raskal
    Originally posted by Raskal:
    just bought 1976 waikiki olds 455 and jucz jet has quaidjett carb and seems like secondarys dont open rebuild did not work what would be a good reliable carb looking at edlebrock 750 ? any help would help http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    hay thanks for the input.
    was also looking at intake thougt it was good idea to both at same time on carb and intake
    i have been over to see tom help out on parts for jet good guy
    one more thnig what about msd for olds
    thanks agin for help

future boater
    Originally posted by Hallett19:
    ok, listen carefully..... don't ever... ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever get an edlebrock carb!!! If you do, don't come around here again. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Holley, 750, probably don't need a double pumper, a vac secondary is fine, and buy it then get it jetted corectly and "marinized" a.k.a- mill off the air horn and what not.
    why not? i THOUGHT edelbrocks were manufactured by carter. i was told that basically they are a carter prettied up. am i wrong?

bobz
    i thought so too they are suposed to be very fuel conservative. i had a rodchester on mine then went to holley gas mileage was a lot worse. as for intakes i like the torquer if you have the room.

flat broke
    Originally posted by bobz:
    i thought so too they are suposed to be very fuel conservative. i had a rodchester on mine then went to holley gas mileage was a lot worse. as for intakes i like the torquer if you have the room.
    That can be a misconception about the fuel efficiency of a holley versus a quadrajunk. The quadrajet is setup from the factory to help a daily driver passenger car run somewhat fuel efficient. An out of the box holley on the other hand, sometimes is jetted a little too rich depending on your application; so you are wasting gas with the holley, not because it is a worse carb, but because it isn't tailored to your engine. The second and bigger cause for wasted fuel in a holley is when someone buys a double pumper (mechanical secondaries) and puts the foot to the wood all the time. In a vacum secondary carb (quadrajunk, carter/edelbrock, and vacum secodary holleys) the secondaries wouldn't open until the motor was pulling enough vacum to use the fuel. However, with a mechanical secondary carb, if you open the throttle all the way, the carb opens both sets of venturis, and quirts a little extra gas in there as well, regardless of the true engine demand. Odds are that on the average lake boat, you would do better on fuel usage, and off the line acceleration with a properly tuned vacum secondary carb over the mechanical secondary unit. Just my .02 and you'll get guys that swear by double pumper for all applications, so in the end you'll probably have to try both to see which works better for your application.
    Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

Cas
    Actually, Edelbrocks and the Quadrajets are not true vacuum secondary carbs. Both of them are kind of a combination of mechanical and vacuum operated secondaries. The secondaries are initially opened by a rod with a direct link to the accelerator pedal linkage. Unlike V/S Holleys where the secondaries are opened by the amount of vacuum only.
    I've run all 4 (Carter, Edelbrock, Quadrajet and Holley) and so far, I'd have to say that I've been the least impressed with the Holleys. That being said, I have just switched back to a Holley that was set-up for what I'm running, it's not something that is an "off the shelf" purchase. Since I haven't run it out on the water yet, it remains to be seen how it will perform.
    I also have to tell you, I went through a 2 week training for Quadrajets/Caters a few years ago so I'm rather partial to that type of carb. Once you get them setup for what you're running, you have very little to do to them.
    Every carb has pros and cons. As FB said, it's a lot of trial and error for your particular application.

HAVNAFIT
    follow all the sheep or try a predator....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast