Thread: Need tunnel ram carb selection help!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    My friend just purchased a tunnel ram for his 460 and he wants to know what size carbs to run.The cam is medium wild.We were thinking of 2 500cfm's. Would this be enough or too much? Any suggestions would help thanks guys.

Dans66Stevens
    I have been running two 450 cfm Holleys for about three years on a 402 BBC. You can buy these in Summit dirt cheap. I have been very happy with them. I get super fuel economy. This is on a V-Drive.

Jim Brock
    I have a pair of these holly's # 9776 mechanical secondaries 450 cfm. $100.00 each Jim (818)890-1867

jet4fun
    i have a weiand team g on my oval port 454, someone told me i should get something like an edelbrock torker because tunnel ram and hi-rise style intakes are for high rpm and arent very good for torque.
    he says jet boats want a lot of torque, and they dont run at enough rpm for the tunnel ram to be effective, whatcha got to say

racingrascal
    Originally posted by jet4fun:
    i have a weiand team g on my oval port 454, someone told me i should get something like an edelbrock torker because tunnel ram and hi-rise style intakes are for high rpm and arent very good for torque.
    he says jet boats want a lot of torque, and they dont run at enough rpm for the tunnel ram to be effective, whatcha got to say
    Well who ever told you that info. is wrong. Most Jet Boats turn a higher rpm. Why don't you see tunnel rams on IO's? Not that an IO can't turn the rpm but most jets turn it as soon as you hit the gas, thus making the tunnel ram great for the rpm you should be turning.
    RR

fastsanger
    what kind of rpm do you run?a stock 454 is not gonna turn much more than about 5500 rpmif you run a tunnel ram or a dual plane manifold your gonna give up free horsepower and torque i have tried all three intakes on a dyno and the torker worked the bestQUOTE]Originally posted by racingrascal:
    Well who ever told you that info. is wrong. Most Jet Boats turn a higher rpm. Why don't you see tunnel rams on IO's? Not that an IO can't turn the rpm but most jets turn it as soon as you hit the gas, thus making the tunnel ram great for the rpm you should be turning.
    RR[/QUOTE]

MikeC
    FastSanger,
    I'd like to see those Dyno sheets! Can you scan them and post?
    MikeC