Thread: MSD Timing

Cole Sanger
    Ok, I am going to go ahead and ask. I have a MSD ProBillet ready to run distributor. The engine is a BBC 12.5:1 that will run half 92 and half AvGas. I have two Holley 660 center squirters mounted sideways on a high rise Weiand manifold. It has a solid cam and roller lifters. So now with the question. On the distributor, it came with a couple of different springs and bushings. What should I put in? I have never built an engine, so I don't know where to start on the timing. Most likely I will just have this stuff figured out by the shop that put it together, but I thought I would ask.
    On another note, can/should I add a rev-limiter? Will the distributor run to the max and just cut out? What should I expect with this? What would be the rev-limit on the distributor? Questions, questions, questions.

Fiat48
    Rule of thumb is advance to be all in by 2500 rpm. The motor likes advance at low end so best throttle response is obtained by very quick advance.
    For racing with an unblown deal the way we used to do it was to see how much inital timing the motor would take and not kick back on the starter. Depending on the compression..that was about 22 to 25 degrees. Once determining that, we then went in and put the lightest springs and fastest weights possible in the distributor and limited the distributor advance to 18 degrees. The we set the initial timing at 22 degrees...plus our distributor had 18 degrees in it for a total timing of 40 degrees. Just above idle we would have 40 degrees timing and it would leave hard.
    I run mags and no msd but I think the rev limiter deals drop out cylinders to keep the revs contained.

victorfb
    from what im understanding you have the new billet distributor that doesnt need the msd box. you are the first to try one that i know of but im thinking you made a great choice. the factory advancement springs are set for automotive use and will work just fine, but most people change to the lightest springs (light silver) for marine use. this will allow a much faster and earlier advance curve which will most likely give you quiker acceleration. i would however suggest adding a rev limiter as the distributor does not have one built in. (unless there is something new i have yet to hear of). were you want the limiter to hit is entirely up to you and how you set your motor and drive combo. i use a 6000 chip in my msd box and that seems to be a common limit for many. other im sure will add thier suggestions. good luck.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I had the same questions before. Here are your answers
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76912