Thread: Muffler Questions ?

Just Tool'n
    Just bought a set of Gibson Bullet mufflers, the clamp-on ones.
    Going to install them today, the instructions says to re-use the exhust flappers that are on the boat now.
    All of pictures I have seen posted on Hot Boat website, none have hade the exhust flappers on them.
    So how many have you guy's seen on boats.

CJ
    I put my flaps on after installing them. Doesn't look bad. And I hope it helps with reversion which is a problem with some of the pipes out there. Easy to put on so I'd do it. By the way, mine brought my decibel level from 96 to 85 . . . quite a feat!
    CLICK for a larger picture (http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/50IMG_0025.JPG)
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...G_0025-med.JPG

all charged up
    I put mine on a couple of months ago and they were great. Make sure to use the lubricant on the bolts or you will twist the heads off. I banged a nuckle and was swearing for about 20 mins. Damn that hurt.
    They look great and they really make that 502 whisper. Even with a charger, I gotta sleeper now.

CJ
    Didn't use any lubricant. Guess I was lucky. I did use the loctite on the main bolts. As much as they are probably safe, I worry about they coming loose. Probably nothing to worry about but, hell, I just got a waterwhich auto bilge pump switch so I would stop hitting the switch every 5 minutes worrying that I'm taking on water.

DogHouse
    The lube is important with s/s locknuts. Most of the s/s bolts we get these days are so soft that the heat and friction from a fresh locknut will gall the threads unless you lube it up good. We still talking hardware here?

It's Only Money
    The lube is important with s/s locknuts. Most of the s/s bolts we get these days are so soft that the heat and friction from a fresh locknut will gall the threads unless you lube it up good. We still talking hardware here?

Always use a lubricant on SS fasteners. Galling at even low temps and pressure can occur quite easily.

Just Tool'n
    Put them on friday afternoon, finished installing 3 of 6 new batteries.
    Dam cell phone rings, its the wife. She say's get home right away, my cousins from France just got here.
    Did not even get to fire it up to here the sounds with the new mufflers.
    Maybe next week after the bosses leave town.