Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Msd ??

BA Kurtis
    I have a 6AL box, SS blaster ciol, pro billet distributor on a blown 502 in a flat all brand new only about 4 hrs. on it. First couple times out it ran perfect, last time out it would just die like I pulled the kill switch somtimes it would re start but only run for a minite or two. I have checked all wireing and switchs and it is all good, every thing is new. This problem is intermittent, has any ran across this before? Is ther any way to test the box and the ciol? Thanks for any help on this

DetroitJim
    Check all your grounds, anodized aluminum doesn't conduct like bare metal.

Taylorman
    To test the coil, unplug the coil wire from the distributor and stick a screwdriver in the wire. PLACE the screwdrivers metal next to a metal surface on the boat like the block. Next unplug the MSD box from the distributor, the little two wire connection. Take a short piece of wire and stick the ends of the wire in the wire connection coming off the MSD box. When you remove the wire, a spark should arc from the screwdriver to the metal surface its next to. If not, your coil is bad. Ive had 2 MSD SS blaster coils go out on me. They just flat out went out. Never intermittent.
    Kevin

HP350SC
    I had a new module that was dead on arrival. Sent it back and they said the ground wire was never connected internally, but it would have worked if the case itself was grounded. You could try hooking a separate ground to mounting bolts. I had mine rubber mounted.

Check your ground and all connections. Much of the time its the ground not being solid.
    Also use the 8222 Hi Vibration Coil whenever possible. You can mount it in any position without overheating it (not so with the others).
    MSD has a forum on their website too with techs answering questions for people, you might want to post your question there.

victorfb
    a bit off topic but has anyone ever had the Tach trigger go out on them on the msd box? i use mine for the banderlog valve only since i run a mechanical tach, but i am having trouble with the banderlog working fine for a while then after a few runs it doesnt shut off, im getting water at idle. i didnt have an electric tach to test the msd trigger but it was a thought. anyone ever have that problem?

Blown 472
    I am sending my second msd back for repair, when it gets hot no workie.

wsuwrhr
    I am sending my second msd back for repair, when it gets hot no workie.
    they work good when they work, unfortunatley, when they no workie, they no workie.
    Years of experience running MSD and Holley pumps, I carry a spare.
    Brian

fastbugtlr
    I was thiinking of putting msd ign/coil/dist. on my boat. it's a family boat and i'd hate for it to take a dump while we are miles from the ramp.is it really that risky.

HammerDown
    I was thiinking of putting msd ign/coil/dist. on my boat. it's a family boat and i'd hate for it to take a dump while we are miles from the ramp.is it really that risky.
    It's a flip of a coin...
    Personally I know of a few people that had MSD failures for no good reason, some were only a hour old and some were a year old. Go figure.
    PS. I hear more have better luck with the Crain HI-6 boxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast