Thread: Ride Degree??

Lawler
    This weekend will be the first time out with the new ride plate. Where is the best place to start with the degree? 2? 4? I have also found it difficult to actually check the bottom of the boat to see what degree it's currently sitting at so I know I am truly at 2 or 4 degrees. What's the best way to achieve this?

Wicked Performance Boats
    Use a 4ft level and put your indicator on it. Budlight

Jeanyus
    2 to 4 degrees is a good place to start. I use an electronic angle gizmo. Less than $90.00 at Sears.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...protractor.jpg

I would start at 1.5* up, see how it rides and then adjust from there, too much up angle could cause you to porpoise (sp?) if you do not have enough horsepower. move it 1/2* at a time until it planes properly.
    just my .02 cents ... but what do I know I drive a Hydro. :mix:
    Brian

Taylorman
    Do you mean 1.5 degrees higher than the bottom of the boat?

Wicked Performance Boats
    Yes

Squirtin Thunder
    Do you mean 1.5 degrees higher than the bottom of the boat?
    Yes 1.5* up from the keel line !!! A comon mistake is too much up on the plate. If you fallow the Hydro guys advise you willl be in good shape. Use a GPS Tach and Speedo and write everything down !!!
    Jim

Taylorman
    So would you put a straight edge across the intake from the keel, across the shoe like in this picture and go 1.5 up on the ride plate from the straight edge?
    http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/intake_rear.jpg

PC Rat
    So would you put a straight edge across the intake from the keel, across the shoe like in this picture and go 1.5 up on the ride plate from the straight edge?
    http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/intake_rear.jpg
    You are not going to get an accurate baseline to measure from doing it this way if your shoe is below the keel line.
    Brian

Kevin ... If you are doing it that way (with the boat upside down), you would need to measure the ride plate down. Then again, if you're setting your boat up upside down ... you are more of a man than I am! Just kidding, all joking aside ...
    If the boat is right side up, then yes 1.5* up from the keel is a good starting place, the picture of the electronic level that Jeanyus pictured is the way to go. You can place it on the bottom of the hull, press a button to calibrate it to the boat electronically & then measure the ride plate ... the only way to go.
    You will find numerous other uses for the level also, not just in the boat world ... it is an awesome tool for your home/life.
    And thanks Jim ... most of the guys here who don't know who I am usually write me off in the jet zone because I now drive a Hydro. I still like to keep in touch with my roots ... once a Jetter, always a Jetter!
    Brian