Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Long......

63stevens
    The cavatation plates on my 78 Continental (spectra splash) cruiser are only 6" long. I want to put longer ones on it and would like some idea on how long to make them. I was thinking of going 10" but I have seen photos of other cruiser that have even longer plates on them. Any thoughts guys?

SGettmann
    The cavatation plates on my 78 Continental (spectra splash) cruiser are only 6" long. I want to put longer ones on it and would like some idea on how long to make them. I was thinking of going 10" but I have seen photos of other cruiser that have even longer plates on them. Any thoughts guys?
    63 Stevens - Check your PM. When you email me, I will send you a photo on my cavitation plates on my 21 Schiada. May want to check in with Hallet as well, his 21' was set up for the NWSRA circuit as well. If you wanted to go crazy, could add a ballast tank under the deck. :rollside:
    When rigging, pay attention to the length of the swing arm to get full play in your range on the plates. I'm in the process of having a longer arm made.
    If having it done, check in with Alexi at BoostPower. They do custom rigging and have been able to help me out quite a bit with information. It seems like everyone knows more information on my boat than I do, but then again, that's what happens when you're new.

bigkatboat
    Your plates should extend 9" beyond the back of the boat. I rigged/ sold/ owned a number of those hulls and it runs well. You may also take a closer look at it, it has less V, it is wider, and longer than a Spectra. Talk to the people at "Silverwing Boats" (Wilkes) they still have the molds. He may have built a V- drive one. Cole built some but not V- drives, Finish Line did, and Dana built a bunch of them, and I rigged many of their V- drives. My own personal 22' had an 8 degree shaft angle, and it ran right around 97/102 with 29's and a 11lbs turbo motor.

Your plates should extend 9" beyond the back of the boat. I rigged/ sold/ owned a number of those hulls and it runs well. You may also take a closer look at it, it has less V, it is wider, and longer than a Spectra. Talk to the people at "Silverwing Boats" (Wilkes) they still have the molds. He may have built a V- drive one. Cole built some but not V- drives, Finish Line did, and Dana built a bunch of them, and I rigged many of their V- drives. My own personal 22' had an 8 degree shaft angle, and it ran right around 97/102 with 29's and a 11lbs turbo motor.
    ?
    good info, but he has a Spectra bottom, not a Schiada/Silverwing/Cole/Dana. Never seen a dana v-drive. How many did they build?
    Rick, when I had my 21 Spectra and was changing it from a jet to a v drive, V Drive Tom also told me to go with 10 inch plates.

bigkatboat
    I do believe the Silverwing Boat is the old Lemke molds. It's not a Spectra. It's no where near a Schiada. The Continental is one of the names the Lemkes used for that boat. Smiley Sanches laid up a ton of them, for a lot of builders. I've rigged a lot of Spectra/ Howards, and more than 6 Continentals, it ain't the same boat, top or bottom. Dana did a few V- drives, they had a bay area circle racer do a 20', and I've done a few 20' and 22', and some "backyard" guys did a few also. No V- drives that I know of ever were done by Dave or his guys at Dana.

bigkat, when were you rigging at Howard? I was there rigging in the early 90s for a few years. Only did 3 of the 20 v drives and one of the 18 semi vee's (the old schiada) when I was there though, everything else was mostly I/Os and jets. Marty Hatchel (hornet boats) was there for a brief time too during my stay there, about a month if I remember right.
    Our paths must have crossed somewhere along the line.
    Despite what you said about the continental not being the same as the Spectra/Howard, I believe the continental Rick has here is the same. Maybe another builder using that name, I don't know?

63stevens
    From what info I was able to obtain the contiental I have was built in anaheim and the people who built it were only in business for about 2 years. I would have to put it next to a spectra to really see the differences but was told that it is a splash of a spectra. Whether it is or not doesn't matter i just want to put longer plates on it and would like to get the right length. Like I said before the plates right now are 6" from the transom and was thinking of going another 4-5 " .

bigkatboat
    First off, IT DOES MATTER what I said about the plates and set up are 'right on'. "Rigger", I did not work for Howard Brown, a guy named John did his "in house" stuff. I own Finish Line Engineering Corp. we did a ton of Howard's (and others) V- drive rigging (motor rail, full on blower stuff) back in the 70's and 80's. Others did some too. Howard's boat is directly off of the Spectra (he said so), but the Continental has less V (aprox. 10 degrees), and is 21', 4" long. (63 stevens) Measure your boat. I owned a few 22' Continentals (Finish Line) and they need the strut/ prop (motor) way back, this requires a different balance, but it gets the entire boat out of the water. With the shallow V, it needs to get the spray off of the rear chine areas, so you must lift the boat out of the water with the prop/ horsepower. Early 90's would be Gene? in Irwindale? I stopped by that shop to pick up a hatch for a 24' that was the last one I did as a turbo V- drive. I don't know Marty, but I do know Len Metz of Hornet. "Rigger" you and I need to get together next time I'm in California, George

bigkat,
    Yeah, I knew John at Howards, mostly from the time I was at Rogers, 80-85, and we'd trade parts back and forth to get a boat done. And yes, you're right about Gene owning Howards when I was there, up in Irwindale, well I worked for Gene and Brett and what ever deal they had before that went south. But I knew Howard Brown from the time I was a little boy, he lived 6 doors down in the 60s and in the late 60's he rented a house form my dad for a year or 2 when he was married to Mary. I wonder if that 20 deck is still on the roof of Howards old building on Lkwd blvd that Gene and Brett threw up there when they moved? Be kinda funny if it still was.
    Marty was Hornet boats. He was a rigger from back in the day at Tahiti with my dad, in the 60s, and later branched out on his own to fire up Hornet. I don't know who Len was. lol. Maybe his partner?
    Howard told me he was the first to splash the spectra when it came out. Don't know if that's true or not, it was either him or Dick Schuster, but I always liked Howards later deck a lot, the one where he straightened out the gunnales. Beautiful boat, that one is. Always liked his whaler version too, we sold a few of those at Roger's.

63stevens
    here is a picture of my continentalhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199Conthaulin.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast