Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Long......

UltraLucky
    Do you guys know where the Gaylord fits in to the mix ? It measures 20' 11"
    down the centerline and appears similar to the Spectra/Howard/Cont. Sorry for the jack but I am also looking for setup info.

Rick,
    pretty much looks like a spectra splash to me. nice looking boat. Wasn't that the boat owned by one of the members on the board here? Corleone I think?
    I sure wish I could have found a 20 v-drive that I could have afforded when I was looking. I like our I/O, but would really rather had the v-drive. lol
    here's our '79..
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../IMG_03143.jpg
    ultralucky,
    Gaylord was also another spectra splash. They're the same gaylord of Gaylord truck bed covers in Paramount, Ca. In fact when they moved to a new building last year they still had on old 20 sitting in the yard, white and blue, that I thought about picking up. It was layed up to be a v-drive, recessed for plates and strut, but I passed. It was dirt cheap too. I was actually at their shop looking to see if they still had the molds for the 20, but they had been cut up long ago. My friend bought that last boat they had and has it at his shop over in orange now. Gaylord was much more known for their flatties back in the day than the cruizers.

UltraLucky
    Curious as to why you passed on that hull. It appears to be layed up very light and has one pretty funky tapping job. Do you think it will hold up under decent power or would it need some additional glass work.
    Your Spectra looks very well cared for . Nice

Curious as to why you passed on that hull. It appears to be layed up very light and has one pretty funky tapping job. Do you think it will hold up under decent power or would it need some additional glass work.
    Oh, you saw it too? lol
    Very light lay up and one of the worst tape jobs I've ever seen. Looks like they taped off the mold with duct tape.
    I wasn't worried about the lay-up but the reason I passed was I didn't really feel like re-geling a boat. Plus the trailer had been beat to death, nothing that couldn't be fixed, but I just didn't want to deal with it.
    Did you buy the boat? Last I saw of it it was over at Sals shop. He told me that he ended up with it for swaping out some work or something. Maybe he was blowing smoke, I dunno. The last time I was there, this summer, it was still sitting right in front of the office door. Did you buy it from gaylord? He also had 3 casales in his office he wanted to get rid of too. Did you snag those along with the other v-drive parts he had?
    I lucked out on our spectra, thanks. Original gel, only 400 hours on the engine and bought it from the original owner. Kinda wierd owning an I/O, power steering, engine cover, nice stereo, it'll lull you to sleep on the water

UltraLucky
    Yea. I bought it from Sal he had put a new Transom & added some glass to the floor and ended up with the boat after the guy went another way. I passed on the trailer as it was not correct for the boat. The Whte gel came back with some 1500grit and Fine Cut. The blue flake below the rail will also come back but the blue on the deck will have to be fixed. I would be interested in one of those Casles if they still have them as I have no hardware @ this Point. Still in the thinking/planning stages of this project.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...080034-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...230037-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...230038-med.JPG

63stevens
    [QUOTE=old rigger]Rick,
    Wasn't that the boat owned by one of the members on the board here? Corleone I think?
    Rich Yes you are right. I picked it up from John in sept. Have had it out a couple of times. Really a fun boat

Norseman
    The cavatation plates on my 78 Continental (spectra splash) cruiser are only 6" long. I want to put longer ones on it and would like some idea on how long to make them. I was thinking of going 10" but I have seen photos of other cruiser that have even longer plates on them. Any thoughts guys?
    Just curious, why do you want to make them longer????
    Do you think the ,longer plates will correct a problem with the boat??
    Or is it for the way the longer plates look??

63stevens
    The short plates don't give me much movement. I would like to have a little more down pedal. Besides with longer plates that moves the prop further under the boat. The boat seems to ride rather wet. I'm hoping with the longer plates and a gear change I will be able to carry the front better

Riverkid
    I do believe the Silverwing Boat is the old Lemke molds. It's not a Spectra. It's no where near a Schiada. The Continental is one of the names the Lemkes used for that boat. Smiley Sanches laid up a ton of them, for a lot of builders. I've rigged a lot of Spectra/ Howards, and more than 6 Continentals, it ain't the same boat, top or bottom. Dana did a few V- drives, they had a bay area circle racer do a 20', and I've done a few 20' and 22', and some "backyard" guys did a few also. No V- drives that I know of ever were done by Dave or his guys at Dana.
    Every Dana cruiser that Dave Stockton built came to us for the seat and carpet installation. We did all their interiors. I towed them all. You are correct, Dave never sent us a V drive.
    The Silverwing mold is Lemke's old mold. Jimmy Wilkes still has the molds. He built one a few years back in a V drive for a customer in the movie business that ended up getting sold again right as it got finished with a 502/502 package. It was a nice cruiser. The price it sold for was a felony. Guy gave it away.
    When we did Continental interiors none of our Howard or Spectra patterns fit. We didn't have patterns for the Speed & Marine/Silverwing boats that I can recollect.
    I'd say your 100% on there, my man. Happy new year!

bigkatboat
    THANK YOU! "Riverkid". I knew I wasn't going crazy, it is not the same boat. It is difficult to see anything in one still photo, but your Continental looks as if it is a little low in the tail. The hull has less V than the Spectras and it needs the prop further back. You also want it to ride with the nose not so high. At speed you should have 1/2 of the fin showing, and the chines all the way back, should be in the air. Often when the strut is moved forward and the shaft angle is 9 or 10 degrees, more power/ speed will cause the nose to go up and the tail to drag thru the water. I would make plates 15" (6" under hull, 9" out back), no more than a 5" gap between plates at center. Stagger two rows of mounting bolts @ 2"X 4". Either cut plates with extra material, or add on 45 degree angles (up) to the insides of the plate edges toward the center. This will keep water off of the tops of the plates at speed. You should only need 2" levers on your plate hardware, this will give (aprox.) 3/4" travel at plate ends. To add more length to plates adds drag, but does NOT change the balance of the mass (boat) vs it's leverage (prop/ shaft angle) as it attacks the water. The longer the distance from prop to plate ends, the greater the 'prop slip' will be in rough water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast