Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cam broke and took the block with it!

wsuwrhr
    Well ... at least you know what caused it ... sorry to hear of your misfortune. I too am dealing with motor problems this year ... so far, 3 races and going on the 3rd motor build ... I know how you feel.
    Good Luck.
    Brian
    I am still waiting on pistons I ordered 4 weeks ago.
    Brian

460 jus getn it
    man thats some crazy damage. sorry to see that.............

SmokinLowriderSS
    I wish my worst-case scenario guess had been wrong. Sorry you broke so hard. :supp:

tattoo
    Life goes on! That was the second motor this year. My other motor is at the machine shop. I should have it back in a week or two.

I am still waiting on pistons I ordered 4 weeks ago.
    I order 16 pistons at a time & have them balanced all at once.
    While racing, we don't have that time luxury (4 weeks) if we break. That way, if we blow it up, we're back in business quickly.
    So That sucks (4 weeks).
    Tattoo ... to look at things in a positive way, at least you'll have a fresh motor for the summer!
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    I order 16 pistons at a time & have them balanced all at once.
    While racing, we don't have that time luxury (4 weeks) if we break. That way, if we blow it up, we're back in business quickly.
    So That sucks (4 weeks).
    Tattoo ... to look at things in a positive way, at least you'll have a fresh motor for the summer!
    Brian
    4 weeks SO FAR. I can't even get a ETA from them. It's like I am dealing with a custom machine shop business or something....damn machinists. Supposed to be a shelf piston too.
    As soon as I decide on a bore size for the Indy motor, I will order the pistons right away, not wait until I NEED them.
    I knew it was hurt since LAST Fourth of July, waited till the last minute, and this is what I get.
    Lessons learned, lessons learned.
    Brian

1slowboat
    damn hate to here about your motor.... I had the same thing happen to me, 4year old motor. ran good to and one day i jumped on it to show a freinds brother what a "speed boat" was like and pow, pulled a rod in half part went through the cam and the other through the block... seriosly cashed the block. 460 ford, broke the front of the block, timming cover,2 sides of the block, 10 qt oil pan, scared the crank beyond fix, oil pump, pickup tube, ect. the only thing that was good was my heads and flywheel... a few valves were bent though....
    sucks when it happens, I still have the rod and the front piece of the cam.. I keep them for paper weights, and remember to take my time building a motor. Triple check every thing....
    sorry for the long post, it just took be back to the gutless feeling i had. :hammer2:

tattoo
    I think I am going to make a lamp out of the cam. That way I have to look at it everyday!

1slowboat
    It hurts now but wait a year and then you and your buddies can laugh about it..... :idea:

tattoo
    I am already making jokes about it! What else can you do?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123