Thread: Handheld CB Radio Advice needed.

dmontzsta
    I am looking to buy a handheld CB radio. I was thinking of mounting one with a magnetic antenna, but that is one more thing I would have to do every trip out. I have seen some handhelds that are not worth a shit. Are there any that are really decent and will reach far and work like a good stationary? What do I need to know about these when buying?
    Thanks.

Kindsvater Flat
    Just get a galaxy radio (2000+ channels) 500 watt amp and a big whip. I have no problems skipping to the east coast

dmontzsta
    Just get a galaxy radio (2000+ channels) 500 watt amp and a big whip. I have no problems skipping to the east coast
    Isnt that overkill? hmmm...I like overkill, what does one of those bad boys cost? Any other suggestions? I just need to rich a mile or so...it is just for river trips to find out where all the cops are from the truckers.

thesunking
    Isnt that overkill? hmmm...I like overkill, what does one of those bad boys cost? Any other suggestions? I just need to rich a mile or so...it is just for river trips to find out where all the cops are from the truckers.
    It's never too much. At one point in my life before I got married I ran a base station (Connex 4800 DXL 10 Meter/Antron 99 Base Antenna) and a mobile unit (Galaxy DX 959 11 Meter). These units were "tweaked and peaked" with 40 channels below 1 and 40 channels above 40. Before the internet I would get my stuff from this old man that owned a shop in Lakewood called the Radio Doctor. You can find a Galaxy at any Truck Stop and pay around 200 bucks or find one online for about 160. Don't forget to include a Astatic D-104 power mic for crisp modulation, it's a must if you're going to step on the mud ducks!

JETEATER
    I use a UNIDEN pc 122 in the motorhome it's a litte radio with upper&lower
    sideband. Just put a cigarette lighter plug on it and use a mag mount
    antenna and your good to go.

Brooski
    Come on good buddy. Just go out and pass the green and pick up a squack box so you can lay low on the side while you are putting the pedal to the metal on the ole two lane, pulling the floating bath tub. You can catch all your buddies on the flip side as you ride in the rocking chair.
    Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin, over and out.
    Sheriff Buford T Justice