Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first launch in a while, mystery klunk thud

Wicked Performance Boats
    Yes you can buy 1 piston. It's harder to find someone to sell you only 1 set of rings. BUT what happened to your motor and why? Budlight

berk
    i dont know! been a real solid motor, could improper warmup cause this? or is it just crappy pistons?i wouldve thought any forged would hold up better than the best cast pieces. makes me scared to get nitrous like i was planning
    i just hope my head is ok. :cry:
    by the way this motor was built from a longblock off ebay. came assembled. then a speed shop finished it so no warranty.

berk
    well heres the deal. cylinder wall looks decent, i think the head looks ok too, you guys would be better judge of that. numbers on the piston say P3831-30
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...C08597-med.JPG
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...C08600-med.JPG
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...C08598-med.JPG

CrdStang
    Could an extreme case of not-enough-ring-gap cause that?
    Maybe another piece of junk in the cylinder got between the outside edge of the piston and the head, then broke that chunk out of the piston when it got back up to TDC?

berk
    Could an extreme case of not-enough-ring-gap cause that?
    Maybe another piece of junk in the cylinder got between the outside edge of the piston and the head, then broke that chunk out of the piston when it got back up to TDC?
    seems strange a piece of stuff would appear in there whithout having done any work to the motor. although the next jug over has a small ding in the piston. maybe my carb is bio-degrading. found a seller of single pistons, these are a flat top forged lower end piston from probe. does anyone have a line on single sets of hastings rings?

ARS Marine inc.east
    Jist Buy the one piston and replace it , making sure you use the marine clearance on the ring.
    That looks like it could have had the wrong end gap clearance on the ring.
    Make sure you check your timing. On high H.P. motors I've had the top ring Crack because of detonation.
    Anyways you should be able to find a local dealer to sell you one set of rings.
    Alot of people out there just replace what needs replacing.
    Sorry to see you had problems on your first time out, But its still just the begining of the season. Youll get it back togther

ARS Marine inc.east
    I'm a slow typer
    Just saw you found a single piston thats cool

1HOTGMCJET
    I notice a slight amount of corrosion at the top of that bore, perhaps the ring was stuck to the cylinder wall (after having been sitting for awhile), and broke when you started the motor (possibly causing the piston damage seen), and bounced around a little giving your noise? Just a guess, like I said.....good luck!

Wicked Performance Boats
    Looks to me , you had a head gasket starting to go away. It's black between 2 cylinders and some leakage too. Budlight

CrdStang
    Jist Buy the one piston and replace it , making sure you use the marine clearance on the ring.
    So, uh, just what should marine marine ring clearances be? I..uh..just slapped my rings in...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12