Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reuseing heads gaskets

victorfb
    is it a gamble to reuse the blue felpro head gaskets? im thinking of a cam change but will also need to replace the valve springs. i do have a couple of those tools that remove valve springs while still on the head but never used one before on a higher performance spring. anyone have any experience with this?

Kindsvater Flat
    I have heard of people reusing the felpro blue gaskets but for how cheap they are I would replace them.

victorfb
    $125 cheap? you obviously have more money than i do. im not saying its not worth buying new ones and not take chances on an expensive motor, but im barely finding enough cash right now to get the springs and lifters. intake gaskets and whatnot are even more of an expense. just might have to put this idea on the back burner.

steelcomp
    If you haven't cooked them or hurt them in any way, just put 'em back on and re-torque as usual. :coffeycup

Kindsvater Flat
    Took me alot of searching but I have been buying felpro blues for 50/pr for a few years now. Before that I was paying 50 ea from summit. The internet is a powerful thing.

steelcomp
    is it a gamble to reuse the blue felpro head gaskets? im thinking of a cam change but will also need to replace the valve springs. i do have a couple of those tools that remove valve springs while still on the head but never used one before on a higher performance spring. anyone have any experience with this?
    To change springs correctly, you need to be able to measure installed ht. If you're adding lift, you should take into consideration valve/piston clearance, and retainer/guide clearance as well. Make sure you're not over rocking your rockers, either. (Stock rocker slots don't allow for a lot of lift)
    You can check all these things on the motor, bit it would be a lot easier and faster to pull the heads. Good luck. and don't be afraid to ask questions. :coffeycup

GofastRacer
    What gasket are you talking about the 1017 or 1027's????, those are $36 and $42 from Summit!... My own experience with them so far is I've used a set three times with no problems, and that's on a 12.5 to 1 motor, but they were not damaged when removed!..

Jet City
    I just re-used a set of Fel-Pro's tonight, they still looked great, I cleaned them with contact cleaner and gave them a light coat of Permatex copper coat.

victorfb
    i dont remeber the numbers of the gaskets, but its for a genVI 502 crate motor. this cam has been run in the same motor before but with AFR heads, this time its with the GM aluminum heads that came with the crate motor. its a comp cam and ive spoke with them on which springs to use but i will of course check hights and clearances as much as possible. im also useing comp cams magnum stainless steel roller rockers so the slot length isnt an issue. im not sure if any of you remember my posts last year about having my ARP head bolts stretching on me, but this is the same motor so i guess thats making me a bit shy of wanting to loosen them and chance it again of not sealing well. ill check for the correct numbers and do some research and if i find them for $50 like mentioned that may change my mind. just thought id get some input from others, and i appreciate it. thanks guys.

Stab-n-Steer
    victorfb,
    Tell me about your ARP bolts stretching... Did they really stretch or did they just need to be re-torqued? When running aluminum heads you always have to re-torque after you get heat in the motor...
    S&S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast