Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Carpet

Hallett of a Dream
    I am going to replace tho old brown carperting in my boat and was wondering if anyone was using the solid black inddor/outdoor type and if they were, did you notice a major increase in temperature inside the boat from sitting in the sun? I was thinking of going with the grey type, but the black would look better. I just want to be cooked out there.

Havasu Hangin'

squirt
    I'm ripping that stuff out of my boat this winter. It's WAY to hot, we're talking blister your feet and make your bic lighter explode kinda hot........DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

LVjetboy
    Not sure what the temps are like in Pennsylvania, but I have experience with dark colors in the desert...my boat is black. Very hot when the temps top 100! My carpet is dark red or wine colored (not from spilled but I don't notice too much heat from the carpet...feet usually wet anyway. But the fiberglass and black seats do get hot. I just take a water spray bottle with me and spray 'em down before I sit on them. Doesn't take more than a couple squirts to cool. And come November/December...the black has a nice warm feel to it from the desert sun.
    jer

fat rat
    H.O.D., had it in my old boat.....never noticed any difference, but it shows every spec of dust.

phillyray
    HOD...I have the black indoor-outdoor in my Daytona...It looked great for a while,but after a couple seasons the pile just goes flat.(looks cheap). Did not make the boat any hotter.

squirt
    Hey Jer I was wondering how you handled the heat in the desert sommer months with that color. I have only had this boat out once for the Tower park run and it was 100+ both days. Now I must addmit I'm an spf 5,000 kind of guy with sensitive tootsies but steam came off my seats and deck. I even burned my knees and did blister a foot with that carpet. I've had blue, charcole, green, and brown carpet before in different boats but this black is a bitch!!!! Maybe it's the black seats? In any case there gone come winter! See Ya Don

LVjetboy
    Hi Don,
    I'm an spf 5,000 too I've considered a white or light-colored boat but there's just something about black... I found the best thing is the squirt bottle, not only for seats and deck, but also just to cool down.
    I tried squirt guns and personal "misters." Fun to play with but found the cheap ole' Kmart squirt bottle works best for cooling. Filled with ice water even better! We do a lot of boating on Mead where temps top 115 and no blisters yet. Except from the headers of course! Just be sure to squirt the seats before you sit...
    jer

77Spectra
    Do it right. Outdoor, indoor looks cheap. Get marine grade 20 oz. Looks great, feels good. I have charcoal and its not very hot.

fat rat
    I should have been more specific......I use 20-40 oz marine carpet, why............do people use anything else but....the carpet in my new boat is....."Pimp Daddy Purple", what can I say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast