Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running the Jet on the Garden hose?

texas-19
    I'm curious why you can't unhook your pump?I don't know it all but most pumps i've seen you can uncouple from the motor and slid it back far enough to test run engine.You may want to concidor changing it so you can unhook it.And ya "chevy wire",ain't heard that one either.

Squirtin Thunder
    I think the Chevy wire is what powers the BowTie !!!!

Mighty Thor
    I'm curious why you can't unhook your pump?I don't know it all but most pumps i've seen you can uncouple from the motor and slid it back far enough to test run engine.You may want to concidor changing it so you can unhook it.And ya "chevy wire",ain't heard that one either.
    I have a Glastron CVX 20 with a Berekely JF pump. The rear engine mount is the bellhousing clamped on the nose of the pump. You can't get at the drive shaft bolts to take them out with the bellhousing in place and you can't pull the bellhousing without moving the engine. Also, because of the way that the stringers and floor are constructed you can't make a rear motor mount that would hang off the stringers without substancial modifacation to the floor and rear supporting structures. I am not prepared to make all those changes right now. Not quite as easy to work on as all those over the transom outfits, but this big jet fits my family needs better than my Hondo project.
    :mix:

Squirtin Thunder
    but this big jet fits my family needs better than my Hondo project.
    :mix:
    Right now !!!!

MudPumper
    :shift: The ONLY way to PROPERLY run the pump is with it in the water. A garden hose CAN NOT supply enough water to the right places to ensure you won't be causing damage. Period. A garden hose will not supply enough water between the wear ring and impeller. A garden hose will not supply water to the packing gland and it will burn up. On some pumps, like the older Dominators they have a rear bearing that is water lubricated. Once again, a garden hose will not supply enough water to it. Running it dry causes damage a little at a time. Blowing the water out on the ramp after pulling the boat out causes damage. If you absolutely must start the engine and run the pump dry, you should not run it for more than 10-15 seconds and do not rev the engine. Maybe this isn't a big deal for some and you've been doing it for years, you probably also have a pretty stock pump. Some of us have thousands invested in pump work and would never consider running dry for any reason. But then we are also the ones that cover our intakes when trailering. How many of you do that?? :supp: :shift:

Cas
    putting water through the intake won't cool off the seals enough. They'll get hot and burn within a pretty short time.

Squirtin Thunder
    :shift: The ONLY way to PROPERLY run the pump is with it in the water. A garden hose CAN NOT supply enough water to the right places to ensure you won't be causing damage. Period. A garden hose will not supply enough water between the wear ring and impeller. A garden hose will not supply water to the packing gland and it will burn up. On some pumps, like the older Dominators they have a rear bearing that is water lubricated. Once again, a garden hose will not supply enough water to it. Running it dry causes damage a little at a time. Blowing the water out on the ramp after pulling the boat out causes damage. If you absolutely must start the engine and run the pump dry, you should not run it for more than 10-15 seconds and do not rev the engine. Maybe this isn't a big deal for some and you've been doing it for years, you probably also have a pretty stock pump. Some of us have thousands invested in pump work and would never consider running dry for any reason. But then we are also the ones that cover our intakes when trailering. How many of you do that?? :supp: :shift:
    I almost forgot the towels that are stuffed up in the intake this weekend with all the crazyness.

berk
    What the hell is chevy wire??????????? Budlight
    chevy wire is just like volkswagon wire but slightly heavier guage

sleekvino
    i just take a tee after the gate valve and turn the the water on all the way so the pump and the motor both get water.you just dont do a lot of revving of the motor ,just get it idling good and take her to the lake,thats where it counts anyhow.make your adjustments were you use it. :lightsabe

xs ultra
    on the backside (inside the boat) of the pump is a cover (i think its an inspection cover)...could u run a hose into that & 1 to the mtr?
    fastrat
    Put a hose in the intake under the boat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast