Here goes, I have a Hifonics amp that is supposedly 1500w at 1 ohm
I have a habit of running my stereo for hours at full volume and I can usually smell some kind of electrical smell in the cuddy where the subs and 3 amps are. I always thought it came from the amps but now believe it is coming from the subwoofer voice coils.
The latest 12" victims are Kicker Comp VR12" and I looked in the specs and they are only rated at 300w RMS in the size ported box that I have.
My box is appx, (I dont remember exactly) 1.6 to 1.75 cu ft each side with a 2 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 20" port. I dont really care for "accurate" bass as much as I like "GHETTO" bass. The way it is now it HITS very hard to me and I hate to buy higher power handling subs w/o some feedback from the audio guys on here that know boats and how long we play our systems.
Here is the short list
RD has the 12" Kicker L5's in sealed boxes and his boat has KILLER bass. Would these work well in my box, I dont mind cutting the hole square and the added cone area is a plus. I used to have the old Solobarics (round) in my car and hated them b/c I think they were too stiff and did'nt have that rolling bass I got from many other subs.I think the L5's are comparable to the old Solos.
EVERYONE here seems to love JL 12w6v2's and they are rated at 400w cont and the ported volume is close to my existing box size.
The 13w6v2's are the closest to my box requirements and are rated at 500w cont which is better not to mention the efficiency is higher than all the rest.
I have the "Green Light" to do this right so I need to do it in one shot. I have no idea of the street pricing on these subs and online is not really an option b/c I need to get this fixed before I leave to the family picnic this thursday.
Any quick responses are VERY appreciated.