Thread: should I swap my panther for a berkley or invest in a different hull?

lilrick
    I have an 18' HORNET full stringer with a panther pump and a mild BBC. I'm low sixties right now but I of course want more!Should I spend time and money changing the pump on my existing boat or switch to another boat all together?

SPECTRABRENT
    I not into reinventing the wheel, so I say sell your existing hull & buy a hull with a Berkeley. I have done this before and I would never do it again.
    Good Luck,
    Brent

lilrick
    thanks Brent! Ithought it sounded like alot of work!

77charger
    never done this either but if i was going to i'd sell and buy another boat with the right pump.Reason would be cost involved and time consumed.

mister460
    I say go ahead and do it! I modfied my hull to change from a Jacuzzi to a Berk and then changed it back(the guy selling me the Berk jet flaked out). It just takes time and a lot of sanding. Cost was about 50 bucks. Glass work is easier than most people think. I've got some good info I could send you.

squirt
    How much faster do you want to go? What is your goal. Last year at tower park a guy had a 19' tahiti 460 with a panther doing 70+. I've heard of faster ones too just never seen a race application. So I'd say if you want more speed kick that mild bbc in the butt alittle and you'll go faster. Try calling panther (Steve I think) and see what tips he can give you I've heard he is very helpful.
    [This message has been edited by squirt (edited April 04, 2002).]

hack job
    the sad part is tht 5her would have to be some mods to the transum if you were to go to the berkley i believe the panther is bigger and the way it works is a little diff. we went throught this a while back when we had a 79 ranger with a 460 and a panther there are some people that would be able to do the things that you can do with a berk. but not as good. like if you wanted a place there are people out ther that can show you how this is done or tell you who to send it to. but i wold go with anther boat seeing how the hole in the transum is bigger so you are going to have to have fiberglass done.
    Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

Cas
    Panther to Berkeley huh? why? How fast do you want to go? I've seen Panthers get into the 80's with the right hull and set up, kind of like what you'll need to do with any pump.
    In any case, I've heard there is a prefabbed piece you can buy to replace the Panther cutout. I also heard it's still a lot of work and by the time you're done, it's very costly.