Thread: Checking Plugs??

V-MAX4 POWER
    HELLO. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CHECK YOUR PLUGS TO GET AN ACCURATE READING TO SEE IF RUNNING LEAN OR RICH? JUST INSTALLED A NEW DON HAMPTON 8-71 WITH NEW DUAL 750 EDELBROCK PERFORMERS ON A 441 BBC REPLACING A WEIAND 177 AND A 1050 HOLLEY. MOTOR STARTS GREAT, IDLES PERFECT AND RUNS GREAT UNTIL YOU GET IN THE 4 BARRELS THEN IT JUST BOGS FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS THEN GRADUALLY PICKS UP. I'M NO CARB WIZ AND READING THE EDELBROCK BOOK SAYS THE MOTOR WILL BOG RUNNING LEAN OR RICH. I'M IN MICHIGAN, FAIRLY HIGH HUMIDITY 700' ABOVE SEA LEVEL. ANY HELP APPRECIATED. RANDY. http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...51Im000006.jpg

UBFJ #454

Taylorman
    You may need stiffer springs under the metering rods.

PLACECRAFT20
    Are you going to sell the 177 blower?

V-MAX4 POWER
    Thanks for the info. What is the best way to run the motor before checking the plugs. Run WOT then shut down or mid range, thats what I reall y need to know. As far as the 177, it went to Az on Ebay. Thanks for the help.

UBFJ #454
    Run the motor ... Warming it up at variable low RPMs for a few minutes ... When it's warm, 'Romp' it a few times, then take it 'Upstairs' on a short pull (not to max RPM, just higher Rpms) and shut it Off ... Wait until the headers have cooled enough and take out the plus and read them. After checking the plugs, you might want to 'Run' your valves just to check them.

V-MAX4 POWER
    Bear, thanks for the info. Sunday will be check the plug day.