My sisters bf has a 460 ford in his boat. The motor is brand new, was a long block from kragen. He and one of his buddy's installed it last week and i came over and helped him install the dist and time it. The first problem i saw/came across was that the distributor did not want to really seat all the way into the block with out alittle bit of force. I ran my finger on the inside of the block where the dist slides in and found my finger with a oily blue color on it. So i figure kragen maybe over sprayed into that hole and maybe that was causing it. We got it timed, it fired right up. this weekend my sister and him went down to parker (lapaz i believe was the same of the place) and me, my son, and my gf went. After a few other problems where cleaned up we finally though it was running good, i took it up river, then back down, then headed back to the ramp (it was getting dark) and on the way back cruising at about 3500 rpms it just cut out... So since it's now dark the fireman/rescue boat comes asking us were out lights are... told them that we broke down they didn't seam like they really wanted to help us. I tell them that were at the launch ramp that's about 100 yards up river and they say OK and start heading to shore.. So we get to shore and they just leave us there, now what pissed me off was that there was another dock only about 30 yards up river that they could have just left us at and i could have ran and got the trunk. Nope, instead they leave us where we have to drag the boat up river, and under peoples lines.. Even worse, i asked them if they could at least give me a ride to that other ramp, they laugh at me and take off. All and all I'm grateful they at least towed us to shore but out of all the years i went to the river as a kid with my family and breaking down i never ran into anything like this. People usually help each other in a time like this, guess things have changed.
Anyway enough ranting.. after getting a ride from another camper to the trunk we pull it out and start to diagnose the problem. In the end we don't that the dist is not spinning, it acts like it whats to but doesn't. I pulled the dist and the gear is still on it and look to be fine. i check and the cam is spinning. I can spine the dist fine with it out and when i put it in i cannot spine it obviously because it's meshed with the cam. But as soon as we try to turn it over it just doesn't spin. The motor turns over fine which has me worried. If the gears are meshed then ether the cam is not spinning or the gear on the dist is slipping. I tried to turn the gear by hand but it feels tight. The pin is still through the gear but I'm wondering if it sheared off. Any of you guys know what might be happening here? His old block was a 460 also, and this is a MSD pro billet dist.