Thread: Blueprinting SWTD

dtr352
    I have a swtd that I am restoring. Right now it is upside down in my garage so I can do some repairs and paint. I would like to blueprint the bottom now since it is in position but I am not sure what area to focus on. How far from the back of the boat should I start? Measured from the center pod or the outer sponsons? I read the article in HB but that was a v bottom and I am not sure if a tunnel is different? Thanks for the help.

MudPumper
    PM Nucking futs or FourQ here on the boards. They know quite a bit about the SWTD. Some of the San Diego guys know a lot too maybe they can help. Also, check out www.southwindjetboats.com

moneysucker
    The Sna Diego guys learned to take ours to TPR. You will benifit 100% by not doing it yourself. If it has a hook you can go for it to straiten it out but Tom knows what is going on and will get you the most MPH. Bennett is also very good.

Nucking futs
    What type of bottom work are you looking for? the only part you need to do is the center pod if you are just looking to straighten it. If you are looking for an air entrapment set up like lowering the outside sponsens that is quite a bit of work.What are your intentions and plans for the boat? If your just going to be using it on the rivers and such I wouldnt really worry about the air entrapment at this time.You can make the swtd work well without alot of bottom work.Most important is ramping the intake and making sure the flats on each side of the intake are flat and straight. BP on the boards really naild it when everyone asked why the SWTD's are so safe, being that there are no sharp edges hanging down on the side of the boat.It sets down really flat and straight.That being said, you add the air entrapment and now you have a nice edge to come down on and could get alittle squirly on you.You will not gain much with the air entrapment if your not pushing big HP and when i say big I mean over 800 or so.Just straighten the center pod and go forward about six feet or so. Not really alot of work and it will help a little but like i said the intake is where its at.Also there are alot of SWTD's with the "R" intake and that is a whole different game.
    Tom Papp has set up alot of them, you can call him if you like but you could also do it your self.Jeff Benett knows them well to and jack at MPD has set up a few too.but not to much to it really.
    Tim

Nucking futs
    The Sna Diego guys learned to take ours to TPR. You will benifit 100% by not doing it yourself. If it has a hook you can go for it to straiten it out but Tom knows what is going on and will get you the most MPH. Bennett is also very good.
    thats cuz your lazy CY!!!!!!

bp
    the bottom of mine was blueprinted decades ago. winter between 2002 and 2003, we turned it over and jeff b spent a couple days working on it, mainly around the intake. made a big difference.
    my engine/pump combo is basically unchanged since the beginning of 2002, but the boat is much faster/quicker than it was then. the fact that i run 10s is choice, not the upper limit of the boat's performance. things like bottom blueprinting, hardware tweaking may seem small, but they add up and do make a difference; just depends on what you're after and how far you want to go.

dtr352
    What type of bottom work are you looking for? the only part you need to do is the center pod if you are just looking to straighten it. If you are looking for an air entrapment set up like lowering the outside sponsens that is quite a bit of work.What are your intentions and plans for the boat? If your just going to be using it on the rivers and such I wouldnt really worry about the air entrapment at this time.You can make the swtd work well without alot of bottom work.Most important is ramping the intake and making sure the flats on each side of the intake are flat and straight. BP on the boards really naild it when everyone asked why the SWTD's are so safe, being that there are no sharp edges hanging down on the side of the boat.It sets down really flat and straight.That being said, you add the air entrapment and now you have a nice edge to come down on and could get alittle squirly on you.You will not gain much with the air entrapment if your not pushing big HP and when i say big I mean over 800 or so.Just straighten the center pod and go forward about six feet or so. Not really alot of work and it will help a little but like i said the intake is where its at.Also there are alot of SWTD's with the "R" intake and that is a whole different game.
    Tom Papp has set up alot of them, you can call him if you like but you could also do it your self.Jeff Benett knows them well to and jack at MPD has set up a few too.but not to much to it really.
    Tim
    I plan on doing the work myself since I bought the boat to gain experience. The motor I have is not too serious, only about 450hp so I guess I only need to do the center pod. As for the intake how can I tell what it is? It is a berkley JG pump. I will sand and prep it this weekend and try to post some pics so maybe you guys could offer me some guidance.
    P.S. Why is it not necesary to smooth out the bottom of the sponsons? Aren't these part of the running surface?

Nucking futs
    P.S. Why is it not necesary to smooth out the bottom of the sponsons? Aren't these part of the running surface?
    those are'nt really in the water enough to even worry about them.Once your on the move they are basiclly out of the water.
    Tim

moneysucker
    thats cuz your lazy CY!!!!!!
    One part lazy 10 parts no time. You are part right. Sucka!!

dtr352
    Thanks guys. I am off to sand.