Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with head cc's

almostfinished
    hello every one i'm building a new motor for this boat,and need help. i had another motor in a truck but have since sold that truck with motor. i am redoing a 460 getting bored to .030 have new flat top pistons.. the only heads i have right now is the d3ve smog heads (with flat tops what whould the compression be with these) and are these even worth putting on a jet boat?
    i have a friend who has some d8ve heads(or d9ve i can't remember the casting#) we think they were in a 71 lincoln are these heads a little higher compression?? with flat topps would they be allright to run on the river i plan to and can get 93 octane anywere around here..
    well thats was a little long sorry everyone
    thanks alot D.J.

hack job
    hey bro i think that the leter d stands for 70 and the eight was a 78 meanign that those were from 1978 thats how i was tought to find ford #s . iam no expert i might be wrong i have a dive block which is a 71 block and a d3ve heads 73 heads . i odnt know how good they are iam tryign to find that out it will be intresting to see how this comes out.

almostfinished
    hey the dive blocks are all over i think they were from 73 later (i have three of them) i think the d8ve and the d9ve were a later dove head but i need some more info. there still on the motor otherwise i'd be able to tell if the they were lower combustion heads. i think i've heard people say they were better but not as good as dove heads. hope somone can shed some light on this subject.
    thanks again D.J. Walsh

Brendella
    i was told by george at Clay smith that the D3ve heads are 97 cc, but the ford books show them as 88cc. so I think hat it depends on the year.

The D3VE- AA or A2A heads are 91-92 cc chambers. If you are looking to increase the performance [who isn't?] get a set of C8- C9 or D0VE-A or C heads, they have 75cc closed chambers. With the flat top pistons will put the C/R up over 11 to 1 so you might want to get a dish top piston with a 19cc cup that would put the C/R at about 10 to 1 with a deck height of 10.300" The Speed Pro/TRW piston # L2404 would work great and is a better piston than the KB Hypereutectic piston that offers a flat top. Do the usual exhaust port work and maybe a set of SS 2.19"/1.75" valves and you will have a set of heads that should work good for you.

1stepcloser
    Hackjob is correct,the "D" in the code represents the decade 1970 and the "8" following represents the year of that decade. They are from 1978, the following two letters had to do with where they were cast and what they intended for.

hack job
    Originally posted by 1stepcloser:
    Hackjob is correct,the "D" in the code represents the decade 1970 and the "8" following represents the year of that decade. They are from 1978, the following two letters had to do with where they were cast and what they intended for.
    thanks 1stepcloser thats the info i have gotten from more than one book and the better heads came ealier than that it is also said that the ealier blocks are the better ones 68'-70" or 71 i can remember. they can stand to go at least .80 over so you could make a 540 with it. just a thoughtthere was a article in hotrod about it soem time last year and how they made a sh!t load of power. good luck to all. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

PE857
    now i know why i stick with BBC stuff. too many codes for ford parts.

Ford numbers are easy. I don't see how you Chebby guys can figure those GM part numbers without a scorecard.

hack job
    i dotn see how it gets any easier than ford #s but i have never tryed chebys man! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast