Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of plugs & wires should I use for my 454?

mister460
    Jacobs wires, definitely. Although all the aftermarket wires out there work pretty well. As for plugs, NGK's are good, Autolite copper cores are good. Don't even waste your money on those "platinum" plugs. They're just a marketing ploy. Heat range selection will depend on a lot of variables. Pick a plug in the middle range, run it for a while, then pull 'em and read 'em. Then make a decision on heat range. There's really no way to accurately "predict" what range would be best. Trial and error is the way to go. Besides, at 8 bucks a set it wouldn't hurt to try a couple different plugs!

DEL51
    I got the number out of a car magazine article listing a bunch of plug makers and their phone numbers.Unfortunately,I don't have it any longer.You may try a web search.I called all of them listed in the article and they were the best by far.

HighRoller
    This may sound silly,but I installed an MSD 6 in my boat with a 330hp 454 and have had the best luck with Autolite platinum plugs!!The throttle response and idle is great.I use MSD wires but have used Jacobs in the past and can say they are both good brands.The only thing different I would recommend than everyone else is the gap.With a high voltage system like an HEI you can easily run .050 gap.I gap mine at .053 and got a full season out of them using the boat once a week.

1quickjet
    High Roller, I am running the same engine, same ignition, and same plugs. What I don't get is how my plugs ALWAYS look the same. No matter how the carb is jetted or what type of plugs. I been ok at reading them in the past, but this motor is trippin me out. Can someone give a quick "How to read spark plugs 101?" Maybe I need a refresher course, in case I am forgetting something. I know tech help is relly lagging in the jet forum lately, but I would appreciate the help. JBJ, don't mean to throw off your topic, but I'm sure you would be intersted too. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

JetboatJon454
    Originally posted by 1quickjet:
    High Roller, I am running the same engine, same ignition, and same plugs. What I don't get is how my plugs ALWAYS look the same. No matter how the carb is jetted or what type of plugs. I been ok at reading them in the past, but this motor is trippin me out. Can someone give a quick "How to read spark plugs 101?" Maybe I need a refresher course, in case I am forgetting something. I know tech help is relly lagging in the jet forum lately, but I would appreciate the help. JBJ, don't mean to throw off your topic, but I'm sure you would be intersted too. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    Heck ya I'm interested, let's hear it! Hey anyone from the Chicago area that goes to Fox lake?? (channel lakes)

Here's the NGK website. There is some good reading material there as well as contact info. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/

Racing Ray
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 18, 2002).]

Blown509Liberator
    JetboatJon454
    I live in Ingleside (fox lake area) I am on ReadHead lake right off of Pistakee lake. You can find me any time on the Chain o lakes.
    MikeW

Blown509Liberator
    JetboatJon454
    I live in Ingleside (fox lake area) I am on ReadHead lake right off of Pistakee lake. You can find me any time on the Chain o lakes.
    MikeW

JetboatJon454
    Originally posted by Blown509Liberator:
    JetboatJon454
    MikeW
    OOoops! Guess I messed up the name usually when someone says it that's the way it sounds "channel lakes". I've actually never heard of Readhead lake....I'll have to look it up on the map. I've been there once but only launched at fox lake at this little waverunner place it's very close to a West Marine store.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast