Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of plugs & wires should I use for my 454?

Blown509Liberator
    I know you cant find RedHead Lake on the map and we like it that way---lol.
    Here is a map
    http://www.lake-online.com/chainolakes/pislake.jpg
    more info here http://www.lake-online.com/chainolak...akes_maps.html

Bense468
    MSD 8.5 mm wires are good wires. I had taylors put the 8.5 mm MSD wires on and it ran better. They are expensive but worth it I think.

JetboatJon454
    By the way......I know I really should check this while I'm in the water but I want to get everything set before dropping it in. Does anyone know what I should set the timing to running 11:1 compression?

1quickjet
    Thanks RacingRay!

Racing Ray
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 18, 2002).]

JetboatJon454
    Originally posted by Racing Ray:
    Your welcome 1Quickjet. I thought this thread switched to a local lakes thread and no one found that of any use. BTW JBJ454 I would say play it safe with the 11:1 and keep the timing at 30* until you read the plugs.
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited February 25, 2002).]
    Racing Ray, isn't 30 a bit up there, or is that the overall timing? I've never really done any other timing adjustments on any other motor except my old supercharged mustang and I remember keeping it around 8 or 9 degrees. And 14 when it used to be in stock trim.

Racing Ray
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 18, 2002).]

Blown509Liberator
    JetboatJon454
    Set you timming at full advance like RR was saying. You should be at full advance by 3000 r's. Here In IL we can still get 93 octane. should be ok
    MikeW

JetboatJon454
    Originally posted by Blown509Liberator:
    JetboatJon454
    Set you timming at full advance like RR was saying. You should be at full advance by 3000 r's. Here In IL we can still get 93 octane. should be ok
    MikeW
    Ok how do you set it to full advance? I know this might be a tid difficult since I will need 2 ppl to set the timing. Everything looks similar to a car just want to make sure I'm doing it right. And how do I figure the overall timing out?

1quickjet
    JBJ, to determine total advance, set the timing light dial to, say, 30 degrees, where you want it. Rev the engine to at least 3000 rpm (where they recommend it should be fully advanced). If the mark comes back to exactly 0 degrees, then you have 30 degrees of total advance. When it is fully advanced and the mark comes back to exactly 0, then your total timing is the number that the dial on your timing light is pointing to. Sorry if my wording is confusing, I'm not as technical as some such as RacingRay is, but like I said tech help has really been slow in here lately. Im doing what I can to help a brotha out. Racing Ray is a big help. BTW Ray, what is the best and most accurate way to find TDC? I have a few different marks on my balancer, I have to figure which one is correct. Thanks 1QJ

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast