Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What kind of plugs & wires should I use for my 454?

JetboatJon454
    Originally posted by 1quickjet:
    JBJ, to determine total advance, set the timing light dial to, say, 30 degrees, where you want it. Rev the engine to at least 3000 rpm (where they recommend it should be fully advanced). If the mark comes back to exactly 0 degrees, then you have 30 degrees of total advance. When it is fully advanced and the mark comes back to exactly 0, then your total timing is the number that the dial on your timing light is pointing to. Sorry if my wording is confusing, I'm not as technical as some such as RacingRay is, but like I said tech help has really been slow in here lately. Im doing what I can to help a brotha out. Racing Ray is a big help. BTW Ray, what is the best and most accurate way to find TDC? I have a few different marks on my balancer, I have to figure which one is correct. Thanks 1QJ
    Hmmm... what if your timing light doesn't have a dial? All I have is the freakin' craftsman and I have to turn the dist. and look at the balancer to figure it out boy does that hurt my eyes! Thanks for the info 1quickjet I really appreciate it. I'm hoping I can find a timing light with a dial or find some way I can use mine. It's 38 degrees today and we are expecting snow tomorrow, so maybe if it warms up a bit say to about 42 over here I can sit outside in my t-shirt and work on the boat lol.

JetboatJon454
    Hey everyone finally got the new wires put in and got it on TDC. It was so close to cranking over, it ran for about a second and died it constantly. I wonder if the weather had something to do with it because it was about 28 degrees out??

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345