Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil temp

Tresguey
    man so that means i need to get a oil thermostat from work to? my oil cooler is something the company i work for wants me to test out. and it is water injected.

DeputyDawg
    man so that means i need to get a oil thermostat from work to? my oil cooler is something the company i work for wants me to test out. and it is water injected.
    No, you don't need to do that. When you are out on the typical summer day 85-120 degrees depending on where you go boating, it does not take long to get the oil warmed up in a jet boat engine even with a good cooler. After idling out of the no-wake zone at the boat ramp and then running at cruising speed for a few minutes, I always bring it back to idle and do a quick check out around the engine and bilge area to check for leaks and what not. That is enough to get the oil warmed up good. If you want the oil temp higher then all you have to do after the checkout run is hammer it and make a couple of hard passes!

LVjetboy
    "Oil temp on a long cruise at around 3500 rpm never got above 160 and water temp was at 120."
    Try cruising at 4500 then check it.
    Tresguey, 10 degrees above water for jets is BS under many conditions including cruise. How bad that is depends on the oil you run, how much power you have, and your application or mission profile as they say. The size of your pan only delays (temporarily) the rise at the same time delaying the cool.
    jer

Tresguey
    thanks guys for all the help as i am an amature to the jet scene. there is so much more i need to learn. and it looks like this is the place to be for all the good info.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I don't currently run as cooler, or a high-cap pan so my advice is tempered with a lack of first-hand experience. I have read that thermostats are reccomended for water-cooled oil coolers to speed getting oil to reach proper temp but if some of the folks here have practical experience to the contrary otherwise, I can't argue. :redface:
    I am thinking of putting in some sort of oil temp gauge but don't have a real provision for it. I have massaged my 454 pretty fair (should make 400HP before Nitrous brings 150) and, though she is a lake boat whose majority of time is spent under 4,000RPM towing people arround. When we need to stand on it, we do, long and hard, and for as long as required. That is part of the reason I switched to Syntech last year, for temperature cushion on my 5-qts. Maybe this coming winter I will locate a place to tap one into a gallery while the engine is out and the block inverted for bottom refurbishment.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Heck, if work wants you to test out the cooler, why not dress it out with the whole works and test it out with a thermostat. Or start without and plan to add later to test difference. :mix:
    If MY job wanted me to test stuff (within certain reason) and was willing to foot the expenses, I'd be all for it. :idea:

BK
    I am thinking of putting in some sort of oil temp gauge but don't have a real provision for it.
    Its best to put it on the pan if possible but you can put it on the oil filterter housing just above the oil filter, theres an extra hole there with a plug in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12