Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you fix?

cdog
    When the voltage gauge drops when you trim or use the tabs. Whats up with that? Everythings tight on the batt. I'm not sure what else to check.

phebus
    Check all your grounds.

CrazyHippy
    Or it could be that the trim and tab motors are working and using up some juice....
    Run a voltmeter directly to the battery and have some one turn the motor over, :jawdrop: :supp:
    It's normal.
    BJH

Tom Brown
    How much does the voltage drop?

RiverOtter
    When the voltage gauge drops when you trim or use the tabs. Whats up with that? Everythings tight on the batt. I'm not sure what else to check.
    :idea: That's usually a great indicator of when to trade for a new one

cdog
    All the trim pumps are new and do the same thing. I also have noise from any switch into the stereo while it's playing. The trim pumps get their power from the starter where the batt. cables meet them on the mercruiser fuse dealio. The gauge shows about 13 volts when the engine is running and drops to about 10-11 when I use the trim. It will idle ruff as the msd box notices the voltage drop. I also ran the grounds to the cast iron engine mounts and the added an extra 4 ga. ground on the port side batts. that are for the stereo only. I have plans on running a new + wire for the head unit to get rid of the acc. buzz and pops. What now? Do I isolate the trim pump + wires to a dedicated + block?

Waist Deep
    Had the same problem and ran the ground right to the battery

ROZ
    How much does the voltage drop?
    Sounds like he needs a 50farad cap on his tab pumps Should add a fan too...

phebus
    Caps. cure everything. In fact, I just cured an overcrowding issue on my workbench by taking a cap and throwing it in the trash. I now have 1.0 farad more space.

ThongMagnet
    Most boats run best if you can isolate the (trim pump/ tab motor/ starter) from the stereo. This is usually done by adding a second battery and a dual switch. One of the batteries is a "cranking battery", and the other is a "deep cycle battery" (slightly larger), to run the stereo/gps/radar/etc.
    Remember to always use a marine battery. There is a safey device built inside marine batteries, that is not found in a car batteries. :argue:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast