Thread: Still Not Right

NATE480
    So I go to the lake this weekend, after rebuilding the carb, putting in a new distributor, and changing the plugs. Thinking I was good to go put in the water, ran good, wouldn't idle! When i let out of the gas it would flood. I let it sit, wait five minutes, it will fire right up and go. So Sunday morning, I yanked the 850 and strapped a 750 on----- same thing! Any suggestions?
    It's a 454(stock to my knowledge) with a berkeley 12jg pump on a Tahiti 18ft.
    Also the pump is spewing water out the side so I know the wear ring is gone, and I was going to rebuild it soon, any suggestions there, I need all the input I can get. I looked on berkeley website and I'm not sure about the wear ring size or undersize???

What's your fuel pressure?

Also the pump is spewing water out the side so I know the wear ring is gone, and I was going to rebuild it soon, any suggestions there, I need all the input I can get. I looked on berkeley website and I'm not sure about the wear ring size or undersize???
    Where on the side is the water coming out and why do you assume that means your wear ring is bad?

NATE480
    Well you know roostwear, I probably should check that! I'm a little overwelmed with all this new stuff, I do know it pumping alot of fuel.
    I took the line off and stuck it in a bucket turned it over and man its pumping it out, but never checked the pressure, I'll get a gauge and hook it up this week.
    Oldsquirt, A friend of mine was at the back of the boat this weekend and he told me about the water coming out the side, so I'm not sure it's the wear ring, he said he had the same problem on his jetski so he was assuming they are similar?? I know when I trim it out, it's shooting alot of water around the tail instead of just a tail?? But the tail is at least 100ft long, is that good or bad? Is rebuilding the pump myself possible or is there too much involved?

cave
    NATE480 Is it squirting out the side of the bowl where the bowl mounts to the nozzle? May just be a gasket let go or the teflon "O" ring on the nozzle.
    Needles could be sticking. I put off road needles in my Demon. They have springs on them. It gets rough on Saguaro Lake.
    Can you take your bowls off and check the inside for varnish.
    Could also be water in your fuel.

NATE480 Is it squirting out the side of the bowl where the bowl mounts to the nozzle? May just be a gasket let go or the teflon "O" ring on the nozzle.
    Yeah, what he said. Sounds like the nozzle adapter gasket or the o-ring on the front of the steering nozzle. There is also a teflon o-ring inside the diverter's trim section. Might have your buddy point out exactly where he saw the spray coming from.
    A jetski pump doesn't have much similarity to a Berkeley.

ur carb prob...sounds like the floats r too high or ur not running jet ext on the rear bowl...the fuel is climbing the wall & spilling over causing it to flood...mine did the same thing...i also added a hose from the front bowl vent tube to the bk bowl vent tube with a slot in the top...no more probs...its hard to believe that...if ur running the stock mech pump? ur getting too much fuel pressure...i run the 427 BBC Hi-Po mech pump with n/p...if ur running an electric pump...definately ck the fuel pressure...just my 2 cents...good luck
    fastrat

SmokinLowriderSS
    Roger that. About the only similarity between a Jetski and a Berkeley is that water comes out the back end of both of them. The only reason water ought to come out the SIDE would be a bowl gasket, a nozzle o-ring (all already mentioned) or a cracked bowl casting. Wear ring allows high-pressure water to bleed back to the low-pressure intake, reducing thrust and intake suction. It won't cause ANY spraying to the outside.
    Gotta agree with the carb troubles looks like floats. My Holley has the extended vent tubes inside the float bowls that reduce "slosh" effects from high G's. Those may be of help too. My high-volume machanical on my 454 delivers a solid 5 to 6 pounds fuel, even WFO on Nitrous. Hard to believe a mech would overpressure too.