Thread: painting my trailer

80Hawaiian
    Im looking into the idea of painting my trailer. Nobody looks at or notices the trailer, but I do. I've got a compressor and a gun. But Im stuck on how to get the boat off the trailer and the trailer home to paint it. Any way to jack in up and remove the trailer? What have you guys done. If I could pull the motor that would be no problem to lift with a bunch of friends. But I really dont have the time to pull the motor. Also, what type of paint do you suggest? I want a very glossy finish that will be as shiny as the gellcoat. Maybe even metallic paint. What do you suggest? Thanks for any help.

Fat Chance
    Do you have room at your house, or a friends to store the boat while you work on the trailer? I just finished a "boat off" trailer restoration. It came out very well, but is very time intensive if you want a good finish. You can paint or powdercoat depending on you budget. I painted, used PPG's Concept/DCC Eurothane, 5 quarts total.
    $165.00 per gallon not counting reducer or hardner, and don't forget primer. Spend plenty of time on prep, it pays off in the end. As far as taking the boat off, I did it myself, with a jack, a Shitload of 4x8 block, and half a saturday. Just kept lifting, blocking, and moving the trailer forward.

timitunnel
    Dude hasn't anyone told you that under no cercumstance do we ever admit its a trailor, there called modular homes http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif I've found that straw bails work great to set a boat on. Tim

wsuwrhr
    I have a couple of pictures on my website about lifting a boat off the trailer. Worked perfect, boat was fully rigged. I built a cart to hold the boat while I built it. The cart helped out in manuvering the boat rather than having a trailer to deal with. I was going to post some pictures to give people with a welder ideas or see if anyone was interested in buying one. Let me know if you can't find the pictures on my site or if you have any other questions.
    Brian

triple x tx
    YOU SHOULD ASK TOPLESS....SHE KNOWS ALOT ABOUT TRAILER HOUSES...........SORRY COULDNT RESIST

nitro557
    80 didnt you used to be 1980 ,if you are the same person drop me an e-mail i can get the boat off the trialer for you

HOSS
    I don`t remember the topic but this has been covered sustaintially

75_Elim
    I just finished refinishing my trailer and let me tell you.....It was a bitch !!! The very first thing to do when you get the boat off the trailer is take the trailer to be sandblasted. The sandblasting leaves you with a perfect surface to start working on and well worth the money. I have a 25 foot trailer and it costed $435. After you get the trailer back Prime Prime Prime!!! The better you prime the better the paint job. You'll also have to get some bondo, the factory trailer normally has a few spots of bondo on it and the sandblaster will rough it up and it will need a new top coat.
    As for the lifting of the boat I lifted my 21ft Eliminator daycruiser up with a small A frame and a come-along on the front and I jacked up the trailer and the boat at the same time with two jacks in back. Tehn I blocked the back and braced it to be secure and lowered the trailer back down and the boat stayed put ! I had it hanging like that for over a month while I did the work on the trailer. I'd also suggest getting a few 55 gallon drums or something as tall to pick the trailer up on. The higher the better for getting into all the tight spots.
    Goodluck with the project !! email me if you need to see photos of the lift.
    Jerry
    aka 75 Elim