Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I keep blowing subs and need help.

BOBALOO
    Here goes, I have a Hifonics amp that is supposedly 1500w at 1 ohm
    I have a habit of running my stereo for hours at full volume and I can usually smell some kind of electrical smell in the cuddy where the subs and 3 amps are. I always thought it came from the amps but now believe it is coming from the subwoofer voice coils.
    The latest 12" victims are Kicker Comp VR12" and I looked in the specs and they are only rated at 300w RMS in the size ported box that I have.
    My box is appx, (I dont remember exactly) 1.6 to 1.75 cu ft each side with a 2 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 20" port. I dont really care for "accurate" bass as much as I like "GHETTO" bass. The way it is now it HITS very hard to me and I hate to buy higher power handling subs w/o some feedback from the audio guys on here that know boats and how long we play our systems.
    Here is the short list
    RD has the 12" Kicker L5's in sealed boxes and his boat has KILLER bass. Would these work well in my box, I dont mind cutting the hole square and the added cone area is a plus. I used to have the old Solobarics (round) in my car and hated them b/c I think they were too stiff and did'nt have that rolling bass I got from many other subs.I think the L5's are comparable to the old Solos.
    EVERYONE here seems to love JL 12w6v2's and they are rated at 400w cont and the ported volume is close to my existing box size.
    The 13w6v2's are the closest to my box requirements and are rated at 500w cont which is better not to mention the efficiency is higher than all the rest.
    I have the "Green Light" to do this right so I need to do it in one shot. I have no idea of the street pricing on these subs and online is not really an option b/c I need to get this fixed before I leave to the family picnic this thursday.
    Any quick responses are VERY appreciated.

Havasu Hangin'
    I'd say the smell is probably your voice coils overheating.
    Do you have a subsonic filter?
    Are you clipping your amp?

BOBALOO
    HH, yes I have a ssf and thought not having one was the reason for my short sub life in years past. The Kickers have lasted about 1 1/2 seasons being pushed by this amp. As far as clipping I am not sure how to check that. I am using a sony head unit going to an older Precision Power frx half din x-over that I think has a line driver built in so the gains on my amps are set about half way.
    I set my gains by turning the head unit up 3/4 of the way and then individually turn up the gains on the amps until I get distortion then back them off a little.
    How can I check to see if I an clipping the signal to the amps other than listening for distortion?
    Thanks again for the input.

Havasu Hangin'
    How can I check to see if I an clipping the signal to the amps other than listening for distortion?
    Unless you have someone tune it with an osciliscope, you just need to listen for distortion. Of course, since Kicker subs always sound distorted...that's tough to do.
    Did I just say that outloud? Just kidding.
    In all seriousness, adjusting a sub amp is a moving target...just like manufacturers rating subs is a moving target. I'd say that if you have a problem blowing subs (and smell the coils burning), it may be time to turn the gains down a little. You may be upping the bass signal from the head unit above where it was orginally set, or the CD may have more bass than the original install CD had.
    The other option is to go with some competition subs...I doubt you could blow a set of Juggs (even clipping them).

BOBALOO
    Juggs? Is this a nickname for JL's?
    I dont "blow" Juggs, I lick them.

Havasu Hangin'
    Juggs? Is this a nickname for JL's?
    I dont "blow" Juggs, I lick them.
    I gotta agree...there are no bad Juggs (http://www.mmatsproaudio.com/juggernaut.htm). How can you not love a sub that can handle 1,400 watts?
    Or how about a Brahma (http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/BrahmaSeries.htm)? That's no bull.
    Of course, you could always go W7 (http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w7.html)...
    ...or you could just turn the gains down a little. But what fun would that be?

Phat Matt
    I gotta agree...there are no bad Juggs (http://www.mmatsproaudio.com/juggernaut.htm). How can you not love a sub that can handle 1,400 watts?
    Or how about a Brahma (http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/BrahmaSeries.htm)? That's no bull.
    Of course, you could always go W7 (http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w7.html)...
    ...or you could just turn the gains down a little. But what fun would that be?

I must admit that I am slightly impressed that you pulled Brahma out of the hat.

SoCalKev
    Your gains are up too high, or you are running the wrong ohms amp to subs.
    1 ohm 4ohm voice coil.
    Smell is you destroying the voice coil over repeated high outputs, kick the kickers to the can and go for the W7.
    You'll be happy, and have fun trying to blow 'em up.

Havasu Hangin'
    I must admit that I am slightly impressed that you pulled Brahma out of the hat.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

BOBALOO
    Your gains are up too high, or you are running the wrong ohms amp to subs.
    1 ohm 4ohm voice coil.
    Smell is you destroying the voice coil over repeated high outputs, kick the kickers to the can and go for the W7.
    You'll be happy, and have fun trying to blow 'em up.
    The subs are dual 4 ohm wired in parallel at the sub to give 2 ohm at 1 set of speaker leads. take two sets of leads to the mono amp (1 from each speaker)and you get a 1 ohm load. NEVER had the sub amp go into thermal protection.
    Have you seen how much the W7's are? I have spent some coin on subs before but the ones I have now are 2 for under 200$ and they lasted me 1 1/2 seasons.
    I was trying to keep it close to 300$ for each sub if possible but can adjust a little if need be. I have heard of the Bhramas and the lower SHIVAS from Adire over on the Sound Domain boards before but where can I get them on short notice?
    Heres a sub for you guys Resonant Engineering XXX and those are not red.
    32mm excursion one way compared to the JL's 16mm or so.
    http://www.reaudio.com/html/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast