Thread: engine advice

gorexer
    I have a 21 foot Sleekcraft open bow with a 454 and a berkley jet. I just bought this boat as a winter project. The engine is out and has just been bored 70 with Keith Black pistons with oval port 113cc open chamber heads with 9.5 to 1 compression. I am thinking a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and haven't a clue on cam. All my older hot boat magazines (1997 & 1996) in the jet tech area suggest 240intake 246-250 exhaust @0.50 and 112 degree lobe separation. I know Greg Shoemaker has forgotten more that most of us will ever know about jets but since my books are so old does this advice still hold or has there been new cams in the last three years? I'm not too tight to renew my subscripton but I can't wait months for a article to come along that answers my questions. Any recomendations are welcome

phillyray
    Just call Mr. Shuemaker at his bussines,Iam sure he would be happy to advise.

riverat
    Hey gorexer I just rebuilt my 454 last winter and I went with the rpm manifold. All the cams I tried on my desk top dyno none of them held up to the power the edelbrock rpm cam had. Topped out at around 575 hp at 5500 rpm and well over 600 ftlbs torq. My set up is a little differnt but pretty close...Email me If you need exact specs on the cam...

superdave013
    The cam man who has done it all with jet boats is George at Clay Smith Cams. # is 714-523-0530

gorexer
    Originally posted by superdave013:
    The cam man who has done it all with jet boats is George at Clay Smith Cams. # is 714-523-0530
    Thanks superdave...I'll call him tomorrow

Rivertoys_com
    gorexer,
    I just switched from the Performer to the Performer RPM last summer and I'm really happy. I agree with the above, George @ Clay Smith makes the best cams - I really love mine.
    Another thing to look into are the Edelbrock combo packages. They sell cam, intake and carb all made for and dyno'ed together. That way you don't have to worry about a mismatched cam, intake, carb combo costing you power.
    Good Luck,
    Jason.

fat rat
    Edelbrock is also offering full polished intakes. My speed shop had them for around $170.00, not bad concidering most shops want at least that much just to polish an intake. Besides they look really clean!!!!

gorexer
    Originally posted by gorexer:
    TI have a 21 foot Sleekcraft open bow with a 454 and a berkley jet. I just bought this boat as a winter project. The engine is out and has just been bored 70 with Keith Black pistons with oval port 113cc open chamber heads with 9.5 to 1 compression. I am thinking a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and haven't a clue on cam. All my older hot boat magazines (1997 & 1996) in the jet tech area suggest 240intake 246-250 exhaust @0.50 and 112 degree lobe separation. I know Greg Shoemaker has forgotten more that most of us will ever know about jets but since my books are so old does this advice still hold or has there been new cams in the last three years? I'm not too tight to renew my subscripton but I can't wait months for a article to come along that answers my questions. Any recomendations are welcome

jroos
    I`d call Lunati and give them engine specifics so they can dirct you to best possible cam.Are you running hydraulic or roller? My guess is hydraulic. A or B impeller? My guess since it sounds like your first, I`m gonna say A (00024 BM-2)Bracket Master2 cams give you a lopey idle which sounds so cool. 292 duration, .544 lift on both, 109 lobe seperation. If B impeller, 30207 SPB1-308-572, 308 duration,572 lift on both,110-108 lobe seperation. You can use stock valve train. On latter choice I would probably not use dual plane intake rather single or a ram.