Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: running the jet boat on the hose???

SoCalKev
    Tomorrow I need to fire up a 19 foot hallett jet boat w/ a 460 with a fresh rebuild (14 hrs.)
    How do I run water through the jet to keep in okay?
    Do I just hook the water hose up to the front of the water pump on those water lines???
    Come on guys! Tell me how I can tune the motor and keep everything that is involved SAFE?!

MudPumper
    There is no way to safely run the pump from a garden hose. Unhook the driveline or take it to the lake. If you must run it, keep it under 15 seconds and dont rev the motor. This has been beat to death on here. But do what you must. :boxed: Just run it up to Castaic for a bit, it's not that far from Hollywood.

SoCalKev
    thanks Mud, I HOPE I can convience the boss to let me do that..... although he likes to just REV REV REV and run it for about 2 minutes! :cry:
    I work in Burbank, and the boat is there, so I Will TRY at least, but will most likely end up starting it up with the damn garden hose! :devil:
    Has anyone thought of ways to make an adapter for the jet intakes???
    Stupid Question: Would it help in the slightest If I pre wetted the intake, and the back of the nozzle for a while as to wetten the rubber inside and the impellers???

MudPumper
    I don't know if it will help but there are parts like the packing gland that will only get water when the pump is totally submerged. A hose will never get water up there and it will burn up.

berk
    just stick it in a barrel like an outboard. DUH!

SoCalKev
    WEll, in that case, is it difficult to remove the drive line?

MudPumper
    WEll, in that case, is it difficult to remove the drive line?
    Depends on what kind of motor mounts and bell housing the boat has.

SoCalKev
    Depends on what kind of motor mounts and bell housing the boat has.
    Thanks guys! I found the OTHER thread, thanks again.....
    ......... good luck to me... :shift:

SoCalKev
    well, The this had a blown head gasket... and the distributer was just sitting in there... not tightened or timed.......
    Back to the machine shop...

Lightning
    thanks Mud, I HOPE I can convience the boss to let me do that..... although he likes to just REV REV REV and run it for about 2 minutes! :cry:
    I work in Burbank, and the boat is there, so I Will TRY at least, but will most likely end up starting it up with the damn garden hose! :devil:
    Has anyone thought of ways to make an adapter for the jet intakes???
    Stupid Question: Would it help in the slightest If I pre wetted the intake, and the back of the nozzle for a while as to wetten the rubber inside and the impellers???
    I know it won't completely solve the problem, by why not get a couple of AN fittings, 2 sections of garen hose, a garden hose splitter and plumb in between the intake line and the pump? It will atleast get water to the pump and water to the motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast