ok, so I have a 21 footer, with 2 optima yellow top batteries for the stereo (perko to switch back to the main battery for starting). Stereo is head unit, cd changer, (2) 300 watt JL audio amps (75x4) powering 8 6x9's and (1) 500 watt JL audio amp powering 2 12's.
This last weekend was the first time I've played them at volume continously for a long time. It played for 3+ hours at 75% volume (guess). my voltage guage said 11.8 volts at that time. the amps are mounted in the engine compartment. after 3+ hours, the stereo started cutting out. opened the hatch and felt the amps - felt pretty hot to the touch even though they have fans on them. left the hatch open for a while, they cooled off. continued playing the stereo after that.
so, do you think the amps just got too hot and thermal protection kicked in - or did the voltage drop too low?
it was about 85 degrees outside, but like I said, the amps are in the engine compartment (its a 21 footer and there isn't any other space in the boat.)
oh, the batteries were completely charged prior to going out that day.
just trying to determine the limits of my system - wonder if more cooling is needed????