Thread: stereo cutting out

69 Elim
    ok, so I have a 21 footer, with 2 optima yellow top batteries for the stereo (perko to switch back to the main battery for starting). Stereo is head unit, cd changer, (2) 300 watt JL audio amps (75x4) powering 8 6x9's and (1) 500 watt JL audio amp powering 2 12's.
    This last weekend was the first time I've played them at volume continously for a long time. It played for 3+ hours at 75% volume (guess). my voltage guage said 11.8 volts at that time. the amps are mounted in the engine compartment. after 3+ hours, the stereo started cutting out. opened the hatch and felt the amps - felt pretty hot to the touch even though they have fans on them. left the hatch open for a while, they cooled off. continued playing the stereo after that.
    so, do you think the amps just got too hot and thermal protection kicked in - or did the voltage drop too low?
    it was about 85 degrees outside, but like I said, the amps are in the engine compartment (its a 21 footer and there isn't any other space in the boat.)
    oh, the batteries were completely charged prior to going out that day.
    just trying to determine the limits of my system - wonder if more cooling is needed????

Havasu Hangin'
    Engine compartments get very hot (IMHO- the worse place to mount an amp). If you put fans on them, all it does is circulate the hot air...you need to get cool air in and hot air out.

Phat Matt
    I wouldn't think it would be likely that all 3 of your amps got hot and shut off at the same time. You are pulling alot of power with those 3 JL's. Did you start the boat up after you turned them off to charge up the system? How long did they play after they cooled off?

69 Elim
    nope - didn't start the boat after I shut the stereo off. just opened the hatch (elect). didn't have any problems opening the hatch. let it cool off for half hour (guessing). then started up the stereo again - but not as loud for probably 30+ minutes (maybe an hour). when we decided to leave, started the boat off the 2 optimas, didn't switch back to the main battery. had no starting problems. drove for about 15 minutes, swam and listend to the stereo for another hour or so. never switched from the optimas the rest of the day - no further issues.
    LOL, wonder if I had a dirty cd that was skipping..... could be....
    I agree with you about bad place for amps in the engine compartment, but oh well......
    Guess I was really trying to figure out how long of play time I have with the 2 optimas.
    thanks for your inputs though.

Tom Brown
    I agree with you about bad place for amps in the engine compartment, but oh well......
    It's not hard to build a lexan box around the amps and duct air in/out through some dryer vent hose. ... a couple of Panaflo box fans and you can remove a lot of thermal energy.

ROZ
    It's not hard to build a lexan box around the amps and duct air in/out through some dryer vent hose. ... a couple of Panaflo box fans and you can remove a lot of thermal energy.
    You really like those panaflo fans, eh?

Mr. Naudio
    the jl 300.4 and 500.1 have lights to let you know why they turn off .
    thermal,voltage
    sounds like yours got hot engine compartment not to much of an issue unless the boat is or was recently running.
    much bigger area then say under a seat and all are vented
    dont want a pissing match here but its not all that bad if done right the most common prob with those amps is mounting one above the other thus heat sinking one to the other.