Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: satellite radio?

MudPumper
    I have XM and will be switching to Sirius because of Howard but besides that Sirius plays way better music. JMO

Scream
    I've got XM and love it. I don't listen to regular broadcast radio anymore, just too much on XM. XM also has better technology, terrestrial repeaters to help the gray areas and the like. I'm not interested in Howard so that's not been an issue for me.
    Scream

Beer-30
    I have XM in wife's Yukon. I am debating on putting it in the boat. The deck is XM ready, so it's $100 in parts (Sony module and antenna) and then $6.99/mo additional on the XM bill. I don't see how the quality could be any different, so I will stick with XM, since I have all GM vehicles. Therefore, IMO, it depends on if you plan on buying a vehicle soon, and what would your new veh have in it?

OGShocker
    This thread is like watching the movie "Groundhog Day"....
    XM better technology.........
    I have to agree. Click here to see why GHTrim feels this way... (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=4)
    XM is far better.

Blacksheep
    Can you guys tell me why you say they have better technology? Why does XM need so many more terrestrial repeaters than Sirius? Is more repeaters better? Does anyone know and understand the orbits both constellations fly in? Why did each company pick a different type of orbit?
    I used to work for Sirius as a spacecraft analyst (fly the satellites) and I know and understand each companies systems. It's mind bogoling (sp?) to me how people can spout off on a topic when they really don't know or understand the concept or technology behind the different systems.
    The companies can only add as many channels as the techonolgy allows them to compress in their own bandwidth. The companies, I know Sirius for sure, will be offering video with there system before too long. They demonstrated that at several CES shows.
    In the next year or so, the FCC mandates back in 99-00(Don't remember specific dates) that each company trade information and develop an interoperable receiver. This way the consumer is not potentially bound by the car they buy but can choose their service provider based on content. This is a way to level the playing field and have companies really compete for there content.
    Anyway, just wanted to add my .02.

Partycattin
    I have XM on the boat and love it. Most of my people I go boating with also have XM. It's great when you tie up and everyone puts on the same station.
    I have a buddy that went with Sirius because of NFL. I have listened to it a few times and I think that the Country stations are better than XM.
    It just depends what your after!

Raisin Wake
    Serious & XM have unlimited channel potentntial ( they can add as many as they want )
    Not exactly correct. They only have a certain amount of bandwidth to beam down to earth. they can compress the signals in different ways to get more channels, but, that efects sound quality. in fact, if you listen to the traffic and weather channels on XM, you can hear what a low bandwidth channel sounds like.
    As for my preference, I have XM and love it. I'm a huge baseball fan and I love getting all the games. Tons of music channels, talk channels, sports channels. Better hardware for sure. I have the SkyFi for my car with the boombox for work. I also have a xM direct unit in the boat. Love it.

RitcheyRch
    I have XM and love it.

ZZ-Man
    Get Sirius for Howard he's going to change the way you listen to some great radio ( not that he doesn't already, it will be a little dirtier with out the bleebs).. I love it as soon as howies over I get on Sirius and can't turn it off.

Restless22
    I have XM in the Tahoe, and Siri in the truck. I personally think Siri has better stations for my type of music. Plus I have a bit of stock in Siri... Run baby, Run

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast