Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: satellite radio?

Outnumbered
    I think the XM sound quality blows. I have static on some chanels and not others. Its no where near CD quality so I can't crank it up without distortion on most chanels. I am running an AUX input on an Alpine deck in the boat using the standard car XM mag antenna. I'm wondering if I need a marine antenna? They are big and ugly so I would prefer the low-key car type. Anyone else having SQ issues?

Beer-30
    I think the XM sound quality blows. I have static on some chanels and not others. Its no where near CD quality so I can't crank it up without distortion on most chanels. I am running an AUX input on an Alpine deck in the boat using the standard car XM mag antenna. I'm wondering if I need a marine antenna? They are big and ugly so I would prefer the low-key car type. Anyone else having SQ issues?
    Either antenna should work the same, don't sweat it.
    I am with you on the quality. I turn the wife's to local FM sometimes and the quality blows the XM away. I always attributed it to the stock deck (GM/Bose POS) but since you run it through the AUX in an Alpine and hear the same thing I do, hmmm. I have been teetering on adding the boat part, but I don't think I will. I am not happy enough with the sound quality.

Outnumbered
    Either antenna should work the same, don't sweat it.
    I am with you on the quality. I turn the wife's to local FM sometimes and the quality blows the XM away. I always attributed it to the stock deck (GM/Bose POS) but since you run it through the AUX in an Alpine and hear the same thing I do, hmmm. I have been teetering on adding the boat part, but I don't think I will. I am not happy enough with the sound quality.
    I have SIRIUS at home thru Dish Network and run a digital patch cable from the Dish receiver to my Denon home receiver and get a real clean signal on all the SIRIUS chanels. Sounds very nice. I was thinking of ditching the XM and going SIRIUS in the boat just for the sound quality.

Beer-30
    Well, I am by no means an expert. It just seems that sat would be sat. If both receivers had clean signals, it should come down the the equipment. I would have to hear someone's real nice system crank out some good sound from XM for me to go any further.

Outnumbered
    I've hooked my XM up to my home system and it sounds like shit compared to the Dish Network feed. I'm just not sure if the Dish feed of SIRIUS is the same quality the consumer would get. As far as SAT is SAT, SIRIUS uses different orbits and different compression on their feeds from what I have read. SIRIUS is supposed to sound better but I am not sure it is THAT much better to justify changing service and hooking up a new system :idea: .

GBLASER
    I have Sirius in the boat and truck and love it. I mainly chose Sirius because they have football. My kids think that XM has more hip hop-top 40 stations, so if that is the case I know that I made the right choice.

RP1
    Sirius gets Nascar next year
    BTW RP...I don't recall offhand if your Beemer was prewired for Sat. Radio, but if it was you can get the BMW radio w/Sirius that includes the 1st years subscription.
    But to be honest I've been looking at the multiple docking units myself, house, car, boat and now they have a boombox too.
    Yea Zig, it is prewired but I thought I would go the other route to cover everything.

Buster
    Well, I am by no means an expert. It just seems that sat would be sat. If both receivers had clean signals, it should come down the the equipment. I would have to hear someone's real nice system crank out some good sound from XM for me to go any further.
    Beer, I have XM in my burb with a Pioneer head unit, in my boat with a Sony (the anteana is not even visable, it is sitting ontop of the head unit under the deck) and a roady in my motorhome. I have to tell ya that the only one I would say has poor audio is the MH. Both the boat and the burb have great clarity.
    For your Sony you will need two modules if you are already running a CD changer as that is where the XM Smartlink plugs into. Both parts are easy to get online. I got mine at Crutchfield and installed it in a couple of hours.
    Ether service you choose I am sure you will be happy with it. There is nothing better then no frickin commercials... :rollside:
    Good luck..

RP1
    This thread is like watching the movie "Groundhog Day"....
    XM better technology.........
    Well I guess I'll put "Ground Hog Day" in the DVD player and read on then

Beer-30
    Thanks Buster. I am still tossing it around. It's only $100 + the monthly, so it's probably the best thing to do. Then I would have 10 disc, AM/FM, and XM so the boat would be covered no matter what. We'll see.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast