Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: satellite radio?

Ultrafied
    Beer, I have XM in my burb with a Pioneer head unit, in my boat with a Sony (the anteana is not even visable, it is sitting ontop of the head unit under the deck) and a roady in my motorhome.
    What type of antenna are using? A Galaxy or the standard car antena?

Blacksheep
    Sirius has three sats in orbit. XM has three sats in orbit. Both companies have a spare on the ground ready to go up in the event of an emergency.
    Here's a couple of links for tracking the sats:
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/satellite.html
    http://www.stoff.pl/
    Here's Sirius's orbit pattern:
    http://www.cashflowbusiness.net/siri_orbit.htm
    My apologies, XM launched their 3rd in Feb, however they do not have a spare on the ground ready to launch. The entire reason for launching their spare SO SOON, was because of solar array issues. See article below.
    XM-3 Satellite Launch Approved
    SkyReport reports (ach that sounds redundant) that the International Bureau at the Federal Communications Commission yesterday authorized XM Satellite Radio to launch and operate two replacement satellites to support its services.
    The replacement satellites, XM-3 and XM-4, will be located at 85 degrees and at 115 degrees respectively. The satellites will eventually replace the existing XM-1 and XM-2 satellites at these locations as they're experiencing technical problems (solar panel degradation). The bureau also granted XM's request to relocate XM-1 and XM-2. XM-1 (Roll) at 85 degrees, will be moved to 115 degrees and will operate at that location with XM-2 (Rock). Both will each transmit at full power, but only on one transponder per satellite.
    XM-3 is set to launch in February (probably late-Feb) by Sea Launch. After the launch of XM-4 (in 2007 I believe?), XM Satellite Radio can operate XM-1 and XM-2 as in-orbit spares at 115 degrees for the remainder of the satellites' existing license terms.
    [View the XM Public Notice application here (PDF)]
    There'll probably be a live feed of the launch on Sea Launch's website. Orbitcast will feature it when it does happen. For now, if you want to watch the archived videos of the XM-1 and XM-2 launches, you can see them here.
    Just for clarification, the launch of XM-3 will probably not be noticable by subscribers. This is simply steps taken by XM to fix the degrading birds in-orbit, and prevent a loss of broadcast signal strength.
    Now onto the nicknames of the two satellites. From what I've heard, XM-3 will nicknamed "Rhythm" and XM-4 will be "Blues". "Sex" and "Drugs" would've been great second choices, but I don't think the corporate types would enjoy it.

K9Blitz
    Got Sirius for NFL, but changed to XM. I had terrible reception with Sirius. Their customer service is terrible too. Several installers told me after the fact that XM has better reception because of their satellite and ground repeater network. So I listen to MLB on XM instead of NFL on the way to the river. It's all good.
    Got the XM Roady portable unit for the boat. Just throw it in the backpack at the end of the day which means one less thing to get ripped off or invite thieves to look through the boat while slipped overnight.
    Both play great commercial free music. Either one, satellite radio is a must have.

Raisin Wake
    Now onto the nicknames of the two satellites. From what I've heard, XM-3 will nicknamed "Rhythm" and XM-4 will be "Blues". "Sex" and "Drugs" would've been great second choices, but I don't think the corporate types would enjoy it.
    I agree, "Sex" and "Drugs" would have been cool. But what corporation would have the balls to actually go through with it.
    Also, XM-4 will be launching in 2006 and a contract has been awarded for XM-5. Both will have new power sources and upgraded hardware...
    http://www.skyrocket.de/space/index_..._sdat/xm-3.htm
    I'm sure that Sirius has palns for more sats aswell. So far, no word on them yet.
    http://www.skyrocket.de/space/index_...sirius-cdr.htm

Outnumbered
    OK, I have come to the conclusion that my SQ issues with XM have to do with shitty reception using the little mag antenna. I have been using the home antenna THRU THE WALLS OF MY HOUSE and get better SQ than in the boat or car. I'm thinking of mounting the home antenna in the boat under the dash out of site. I think it may receive better since its so much larger than the little mag one. Either that or maybe getting the marine antenna. I just do not want to mount that ant on the boat. Anyone have any input?
    Thanks

Raisin Wake
    I've been using the little antenna underneath the dash with very few problems. The bigger home antenna may work better. If it does, let me know. I'll switch...

Burley1
    We have XM in the Denali free for 3 months, the wife says "I don't want it so don't subscribe after it runs out" Well it goes out on the way back from Havi and she is hating life and we get home and she says " Turn it back on NOW"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345