Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 460 Starter Question

Hallett19
    I was wondering if anyone knows if pretty much any starter 460 starter will work on any 460, I have a link for one on ebay
    this-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1820947055&r=0&t=0
    this- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...761738&r=0&t=0
    or this- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...133115&r=0&t=0

GBLASER
    I use to have a 460 and I always had a hard time with starters. The Ford needs alot of juice to turn over and I would have to replace them every few years. A dealer told me to have a high torque starter built and to use the biggest cables that I could find. A place called Holt auto electric in Ontario CA.was where he told me to go.
    Just a hole in the wall place but the one they built lasted 12 years, They built it to marine specs. since I had an enclosed engine. I think it was about $80.00 or so.
    They are in the phone book

77charger
    mine uses an automotive starter.What i did about 7 years ago was buy the one with the lifetime warranty when it acts uo i take it back no ?s asked about it.speaking of i need to do it again(preventive maintainance) only dine it twice.but keep receipt

Hallett19
    that is what froggy told me to do, how important is a marine starter ? and how much did that starter run you and where did you pick that baby up at 77 ? has anyone had a problem with auto starters, I have closed engine bay, not completley, but for the most part it is.

spectras only
    Hallett, the ford unit is a weak starter,because it doesn't have a separate solenoid.It uses a stator segment kept under spring pressure as an actuator to engage the bendix[ one way clutch]to the ring gear ,using precious energy.You can add a satellite starter solenoid ,but still fighting the spring pressure during start up. Replace the starter with a prestolite unit,and I recommend to install a second battery paralell with the existing one.Or buy the red top Optima starter battery if you don't have room for the extra battery.

Hallett19
    do you have a part # on that prestolite ? and why 2 batteries ? I want to run two eventually, but do I need to ? and I don't need to change the alternator, do I ?

spectras only
    Hallett,almost all fords came with an AC Delco marine alt with the single wire hookup and spark arrestor screen.Don't change it,because it's regulator designed to charge from idle [putt putt speed].I run 9.3:1 comp versa fords 8.5 in the 70's and 80's and it's harder to start on a single battery.I found the Optima work well in a single unit application though.I don't have the part# handy for the starter,it shouldn't be a problem to find one in your locale.I can get you the # tomorrow if you can't get the info.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited April 17, 2002).]

77charger
    Hallet they run about 40 bucks.I go trhu them here and there but boat was hardly used during that time.A good battery is a must for my boat too combined with a stock starter and 11-1 comp ratio. luckily it fires as soon as i crank the key.I will help you get yours there too someday and trouble free for free.

Hallett19
    You are awesome 77, I'll hook you up for helping me out, I am going to check out one of those starters this weekend and install it, and I also need to re-gasket my exhaust
    http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif but I need to take off the log to get to the starter, so two birds with one stone, kind of

77charger
    That sucks you have to remove the logs i think when i had logs i was able to get the starter out.Have done a short cut for the past 7 years because it has saved me alot of time but would'nt recomend it.But that bottom bolt is a pain in the ass.(hint)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast