Thread: Bowl work---Is it Worth it???

DeputyDawg
    After having talked to just about all of the big name pump guys over the last month or so I noticed something that got me wondering. Whenever I would call and ask them what work they would recommend having done to my pump in order to get all I can out of my boat almost never did any of them say that I should have my bowl flowed/massaged/race-prepped. It was usually only after I would ask specifically about bowl work that they would say something along the lines of, " yes, we should probably go ahead and do your bowl while we are at it". I kind of started to get the feeling that it was an after thought and they were just saying it because they thought they might have left some of my money on the table. The one pump builder who I felt was the straghtist shooter of the lot said that he would just recommend cleaning the bowl up a bit by sharpening the veins and smoothing out any casting flaws. I certainly don't mind spending money to make my boat run better, but I am starting to wonder if there are better places to spend it than on the full blown race-prepped bowl dealio. Have any of you done any testing with bowls as far as performance before and after having it prepped?My guess is people are usually having a lot of other things done to their pump during a rebuild including the bowl prep, so they don't really know how much of a gain if any was through the bowl prep alone. Anybody have some thoughts on this subject?

Squirtin Thunder
    Funny you should mention that. I am getting ready to have my bowl flowed just to see if that helps. Tim, Timinator, in Avon Dale has a flow machine to do bowls at is shop. To my understanding he is the only one that has one at this time. I have noticed over the course of testing that for me the biggest gain was in the impeller that MPD did. Also a good loader helps a ton. I ran last weekend without my loader and well what a big difference. I will be having a new loader made ASAP by MPD. I am going to be sending them my intake being it is also the keel line. On Sanger Jets the intake goes in from the bottom and is part of the keel. So Jack at MPD can make the loader like he has the boat there, perfect for my app.
    Jim

Ken F
    DD,
    From what I've gleaned hanging out with Duane at the races and asking questions, unless you are racing your boat and looking for the last hundredth of a second, you will probably never know it's been done. Especially in a lake application!
    Ken F

HammerDown
    DD,
    From what I've gleaned hanging out with Duane at the races and asking questions, unless you are racing your boat and looking for the last hundredth of a second, you will probably never know it's been done. Especially in a lake application!
    Ken F
    And thats the fact...jack!

Zeug
    Jack at MPD just told me to sharpen the vains on my Jacuzzi bowl myself. For my lake boat it wasnt worth having him do.
    He knew I was on a budjet and the HP i am running.
    One note he made was that you should always sharpen the back of the vain so you dont increase the angle of attack of the vain to the water flow.

DeputyDawg
    Hey Squirtin Thunder, are you talking about having your bowl extrude honed? The process where they pump an abrasive substance through to create a polished surface? Would just polishing actually gain you anything, or would you only see gains if you opened up restricted areas, sharpened the veins and then polished everything? I don't really see how just polishing the bowl would help all that much, but hell, what do I know???? Please let us know what the results are. By the way, I love the looks of your boat!

HBjet
    I would recommend you find a pump builder that is familiar with your hull and making them run fast, etc. Then work with that builder only. If your not happy you can always go to someone else.
    HBjet