Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Stereo System

SouthBay RB
    I got 4 Amps 8 speakers and 1 sub, all kenwood. It keeps killing my batteries.
    Even when I got the boat at idle and the music turned up loud, it keeps turning off my head unit like its not getting enough juice.
    I dont know what to do. Do I need more batteries or better batteries?
    I bought the boat from a dealer and they said KENWOOD put it together, I dont think they did a good job.

BOBALOO
    Why do you have so many amps compared to the amount of speakers you have? Are 3 of them 2 channel and one a 4 channel?
    Anyway, at idle your alternator is not putting out enough amperage to charge the batteries faster than those 4 amps are draining them.
    You also might be running the head unit off the dash wiring which when the voltage gets low will cause the head unit to momentarily shut off killing the power to the amps.
    What batteries are you running? and how long do they last at your normal listening levels?
    Where does the power lead to the head unit come from?
    What size is the HU power wire?

BLOWN HOWARD
    Hey Bobaloo you seem like you have some Sub experience wich would you recomend in the 12" range not completly high dollar but not some cheap shit either. THanks

SouthBay RB
    Why do you have so many amps compared to the amount of speakers you have? Are 3 of them 2 channel and one a 4 channel?
    Hey I just bought the boat that way, I dont know anything about stereo stuff.
    The stereo doesnt last long at all at normal leves.
    What is the HU power wire?
    I will have to get back with you with all rest of the info. I guess I will have to look at the manuals or call the boat dealer and ask what they did.

BOBALOO
    I didnt mean to sound sh*tty asking why you are running 4 amps, I just wanted to know how it is set up. If you are running some serious power to your components 2 ch amps might have been used.
    HU stands for head unit.
    I run
    1 Hifonics 1500w amp to the 2 12" subs
    1 Hifonics 4 ch amp 85w per channel or something close to 4 6 1/2 Kappas and 4 6x9 Kappas
    1 Sony 45w per ch to 2 6x9 that are always on and 4 more 6x9 that I can plug in at the sandbar.
    I run all this really loud to just loud for 4 to 8 hrs without killing my batteries.
    I am not really sure b/c since I have been using my new charger the batteries last forever.
    I use two 6 volt Trojan golf cart batteries for the stereo and starting.
    I also have one huge over 100lb battery I got from work as a backup but have never used it.
    Do a search on batteries and tou will get many different opinions. Just dont ast Havasu Hangin about 6v's, he seems a little touchy about them.
    Oh yeah the Trojans are about 65$ each and Optimas are 135$ ea and you will need 2 of each.

ROZ
    it's probably 2 4channels and 1 sub amp....
    How many batteries do you have?
    Is the headunit turning off, or are the amps shutting down... Amps off only, it's most likely voltage issue... Maybe you need new batteries..
    Try hooking up your headunit directly to the stereo battery and give it a try... report back to us..

Beer-30
    Alternator may be on it's way out, also. Not bringing bats up to full / not pushing enough to run your equipment under way. Since the boat is new to you, ya might have it tested.

SouthBay RB
    Thanx for the Sugestions.
    Just the head Unit keeps turning off for like 5 seconds then comes back on. Only does that with a really BASEY song.
    If I got one more battery would I just hook it up to another battery or do i got to do some crazy rewiring?

Beer-30
    Thanx for the Sugestions.
    Just the head Unit keeps turning off for like 5 seconds then comes back on. Only does that with a really BASEY song.
    If I got one more battery would I just hook it up to another battery or do i got to do some crazy rewiring?
    Hey, do any of you guys think maybe someone is running speakers off of the deck amp? Maybe during high levels of hot songs, it is shutting down the HU amp? Other than a wire shorting or a faulty HU, I have never seen a deck shut down. Amps yes, decks no. Usually the deck keeps on playing regardless of if the amps are running or if they are in protect mode. Hmmm

BOBALOO
    What I have seen is when the bass amp draws alot of power during songs with lots of boom.....
    and when the batteries get low....
    the voltage available to the head unit thru the small guage wire is not enough so it shuts off. This is not a car where the HU is within a couple feet of the battery. For my 3 amps I have a
    # 8 power wire for the HU and crossover
    2 # 2 power wires for the amps
    2 # 2 ground wires for the amps
    All the battery interconnects are #2 ga
    I think roz hit it on the head for the easy diagnosis, temporarily run a jumper wire from the HU to the battery and see if the problem persists.
    Extra batteries are easy to run depending on your avaliable space
    We need to know what batteries you have. size/group like a 24 or 27 and how many. Also do you have a switch for the batteries that is one or two positions?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast