Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alternator mounting ?????

Greaser
    I was wondering how you guys mount yalls alternator. I have a friend that is building a BBC for his jet boat, and we need to figure out a way to mount the alternator. If you could, please post pics. You know what they say,"A picture is worth a thousand words"
    Thanks

Devilman
    Does he have brackets, or starting from scratch? Lemme see if I can enlarge a shot of mine. I had the welder make me a bracket using the one of my truck for a template.

Greaser
    Starting from scratch

Devilman
    Here's a pic of mine. I'm not sure if it's clear enough(find out in a second...) Couldn't it be mounted the same as a Ford? Seems like you could duplicate what ya got on yer motor....
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...motorshot2.jpg

Greaser
    Couldn't it be mounted the same as a Ford? Seems like you could duplicate what ya got on yer motor....
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...motorshot2.jpg
    That is kinda what I was thinking. Mine is mounted quite simple, using a snap on boxed end wrench, and a Ford tension bracket :rollside:

Devilman
    When I got it, the alt. was laying on the floor of the boat. I ended up taking the one off my big truck and got our welder to copy it out of a piece of plate. The s-shape ended up a little off so the only difference is on the slotted end, the bolt goes through from the back instead of through the front.
    I can try & get a clearer pic if ya need it this evening...
    The alternator is mounted just like it is on my 460 in my old '78. Pivot point on top, slotted bracket on bottom. Pivot moint is a piece off all-thread with a spacer made from heavywall pipe. Slotted bracket mounts using one of the bolts on the front motor plate.

Greaser, what style motor mounts is your buddy planning to use, 4-point, 3-point or rail/plate system?

crf311
    I'm in the process of mounting my alt. right now. My boat has the rail motor mounts and there is a hole drilled on the front plate on the driver side which the alt bolts to and lines up with the pulley. All I need is a way to adjust the belt which should be easy to do.

Greaser
    Greaser, what style motor mounts is your buddy planning to use, 4-point, 3-point or rail/plate system?
    Lightning Mfg. rail kit

bottom feeder
    Greaser,
    Here is a pic of my alt mount. Word for the wise the mount will see some amount of vibration so build it acordingly.http://www2.***boat.com/image_center.../1501lines.JPG
    Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast