Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech Tip

cyclone
    If you powdercoat your alternator mount then make sure you run a ground wire to the alternator casing. They tend to not charge the battery if not properly grounded. I found out the hard way last weekend when my battery suddenly died. Apparently I had been running off my battery for two river trips in a row.

flat broke
    If you powdercoat your alternator mount then make sure you run a ground wire to the alternator casing. They tend to not charge the battery if not properly grounded. I found out the hard way last weekend when my battery suddenly died. Apparently I had been running off my battery for two river trips in a row.
    I know that you know an alternator throws more than 12v.... Got a volt gauge in that bad boy?
    Just effen with ya, but a good tip none the less. You fockers have a good time out there this weekend.
    Chris

Floored
    At least in the posted(embarrasment intended) pic it wasn't a PWC towing ya. I learned that one from powdercoating an H-D frame and not putting star washers under voltage regulator. WHOOPS!

cyclone
    nope no volt gauge. and yes when I check it while running on the trailer I noticed it was ownly showing 12-volts and not the usual 13-14 volts.

NELSON#109
    Had The Same Problem With My Ford Starter... When You Use A Rail Kit, The Starter Mounts And Grounds To The Moter Plate... Which Is Grounded To The Moter... Easy Fix, Took A Ground From The Starter About 12 Inches To Where The Bat Grounds To The Block.

Wicked Performance Boats
    All major connections on a boat [electrical] should have external lockwashers on them. Budlight :idea:

HBjet
    nope no volt gauge.
    Get one!

Wicked Performance Boats
    Get one!
    Randy, do you have one? do you look at it? With all dem women in yr boat, I bet ya hardly ever look at it!!! lol Budlight :devil:

Additionally, both powder coat and anodize are insulators. Current won't pass through either. You need to ground to bare metal somewhere that connects back to the engine. Also starters mounted on painted blocks can be a problem, particularly if the starter bolts get oily (oil = bad grounding). This is a pretty common problem with alternators, ignition systems etc.

Danhercules
    Having your alt wired corrrectly helps too. I found that one out. LOL :hammerhea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast